Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution + gmail + imap, download all mail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Evolution + gmail + imap, download all mail

Hello, I just set up Evolution with my gmail account, and it downloaded the subject line for all of my emails, but each email I click on, it is having to connect to the Internet to show me the body of the email. Is there an option somewhere that I can set so that all of the mail is downloaded in bulk?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Evolution + gmail + imap, download all mail

I suspect you are downloading only headers.

1. Edit | Preferences
    2. Edit your Gmail account settings
    3. Choose the IMAP Headers tab.
    4. Select "Basic and Mailing List Headers (Default)"

See if that works. It works for me. But that's every programmers excuse: "works on my machine"
    P5W-DH, E6750, Patriot Viper 4x2GB 1066, Seasonic M12 500w
    Creative Audigy, EVGA GTX 460, HP 2509m
    Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit (KDE 4.8.1)

Beans
    Distro

That was already selected, so I tried "all headers." I hit send/receive, it only took a couple seconds, and then ... hm, never mind. I just tried something, and it seems that all new mail (after I did the initial setup) is automatically downloaded, which seems to make sense (if I want to read older messages, I could read them at that point, or whatever).

New question: why is the mail not updating itself? I got several new emails this morning, and I read a few of them, then hit send/receive in evolution, but evolution still shows them as unread.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Do you have your "check for email every X minutes" enabled?

Also, Evolution might have a "feature" specifying when an email should be considered read. For example, Outlook has a setting that an email is only marked as read when you say "Mark as read".

Sorry... not in front of Ubuntu right now. Thought I'd share those as options to explore.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I have it check every two minutes.

As for the feature you speak of, are you talking in reference to POP3, or IMAP?
    From what I understand, IMAP and the web interface of gmail are synced, as far as read, deleted, etc. In fact, I have used Thunderbird in the past, and it kept things synced, but I figured I would try evolution, since it's pre-installed on ubuntu. Another note: all the mail downloaded the first time shows as either read or unread, depending on its actual status at gmail. But new mail, whether I read it at the web interface or evolution, the other place (the one I didn't read it at) still shows it as unread, which is the behavior of POP3. But I'm sure the server setup I have set up is imap.gmail.com

Beans
    Distro

DOH! You are right. I was thinking POP. I will take a look at this tomorrow. I configured Evolution to work with Gmail early this morning, but don't have it available to me right now.

Update: I have Thunderbird under Kubuntu checking my GMail account. I just noticed it is behaving exactly as you mention. I wonder if there is something wonky with GMail today.
    Last edited by arch0njw; August 29th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ck.asdf View Post
    Yes, I have it check every two minutes.

As for the feature you speak of, are you talking in reference to POP3, or IMAP?
    From what I understand, IMAP and the web interface of gmail are synced, as far as read, deleted, etc. In fact, I have used Thunderbird in the past, and it kept things synced, but I figured I would try evolution, since it's pre-installed on ubuntu. Another note: all the mail downloaded the first time shows as either read or unread, depending on its actual status at gmail. But new mail, whether I read it at the web interface or evolution, the other place (the one I didn't read it at) still shows it as unread, which is the behavior of POP3. But I'm sure the server setup I have set up is imap.gmail.com
    Try this...

1. Edit | Preferences
    2. Choose "Mail Preferences" on the left
    3. on the right there is a "Mark messages as read..." selection -- is that checked? What's the delay? I find if I move away from a message before that delay, the message is not marked as read. If I uncheck that, it never marks a message as read.

Beans
    Distro

It's checked, and the time is 1.5 seconds.
    Whenever I read a message in the web interface, it's marked as read ON the web interface. When I read it in evolution, it marks it read there. But it doesn't mark both places read when I read it in one place, which seems to be what IMAP is for.

Beans
    Distro

I think this qualifies as a known problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600880

Good news: when you exit Evolution, it will mark the messages as read.
    Bad news: see "Good news".

Beans

The real good news is that the latest version of Evolution seems to have finally fixed this damn IMAP mark-read bug. You'll just have to wait until it's rolled out to Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast