Thread: Computer won' t start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Computer won' t start

Hello, my friend's been having technical difficulties with his PC. When he tries to turn it on, it does turn on but it won't start. The computer is on and it sounds like when it's really busy working, like when the fans go faster or something like that; I guess you get the idea. You know when you turn on your PC and it first makes more noise than when it starts? Well, his PC keeps on doing that forever. I'm sorry for not being technical enough, but I honestly lack the vocabulary.

We have no idea of what could be wrong. We checked all its hardware and everything is plugged in correctly. I started a thread because I couldn't find anything on Google; probably because I didn't know what to look for specifically. Maybe some of you have already experienced a similar problem or maybe you have an idea of what might be wrong. Hope you can help us with this so we can install Ubuntu on his PC. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Computer won' t start

Try unplugging all drives and removing all but the video card. If the bios post screen doesn't even appear then it sounds like the board might be dead.
    P5W-DH, E6750, Patriot Viper 4x2GB 1066, Seasonic M12 500w
    Creative Audigy, EVGA GTX 460, HP 2509m
    Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit (KDE 4.8.1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Computer won' t start

When my old computer did the same thing, it turned out the hard drive died. That might be the problem.

Also, dumb question, but did you make sure the monitor was on? If it was on, and you still can't see the desktop, that could also be the problem.