Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of Pangolin Performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Review of Pangolin Performance

I know Matt5Ash, and neither of his computers are the current model.

Wireless, Webcam, etc... all work pretty flawlessly on the PanP4n (the current pangolin).
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

I just picked up a Pangolin recently and I've noticed a few minor issues when using the webcam. When trying to use for amsn, it didn't display anything for the other user and on my screen it only seemed to refresh once per minute. Also I have to drop the resolution on Cheese otherwise it doesn't record at all and crashes cheese when I stop recording. Has anyone else had problems like these? How did you fix it?

audio and mic didn't work in amsn either but I was goign to look into that later, gave me a "cannot write" error message so I'm sure it's either a permissions problem or settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Out of curiosity, how long did it take them to ship your laptop?

Beans
    Hidden!

That's something that was a little annoying when I got it, ordered on 6th, was received on 26th. There were delays (quite a few), they boosted the shipping to 3 day due to them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When trying to use for amsn, it didn't display anything for the other user and on my screen it only seemed to refresh once per minute. Also I have to drop the resolution on Cheese otherwise it doesn't record at all and crashes cheese when I stop recording. Has anyone else had problems like these? How did you fix it?
    TA: Cheese is broken. That's the best it will do at the moment. As for aMSN, that sounds like the person you're IMing doesn't have something configured correctly (and he -- or you -- could be dealing with slow Internet, bandwidth issues, a slow server somewhere...). I've never used aMSN (Skype is better IMHO, and I don't know anybody else who uses aMSN!), but it supports V4L2, so it should work for you.

audio and mic didn't work in amsn either but I was goign to look into that later, gave me a "cannot write" error message so I'm sure it's either a permissions problem or settings.
    You may be right on that one. Do you have your mics set up so that they will work with Sound Recorder? That's always a good first step before trying to get them to work with other programs.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I've heard Cheese was broken for some and that other programs were broken for others, is it a 8.10 issue or is there a program that anyone knows works fine? It's not that I use the camera but there are some people I'm showing it and when you say "everything works fine", they always say "prove it"

On the amsn thing, sound is fine in sound recorder. When I get a chance, I'm going to play with it a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Both Skype and Ekiga Softphone (which is at Apps > Internet > Ekiga) work great.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Freeqaz, this generation of Pangolin appears to be based on another Clevo model, the M760SU, just as the Servals are based on the M860TU.
    Clevo has a reputation of building some kick-*ss gaming systems, used by high-end custom boutiques. They have a very good reputation for quality. My Serval is gorgeous. I have not had a problem witCheck out reviews online of Clevo - you will see that you are getting tremendous value in Pangolin.
    Definitely go for the higher resolution screen. It is well worth it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by former_warper View Post
    Freeqaz, this generation of Pangolin appears to be based on another Clevo model, the M760SU, just as the Servals are based on the M860TU.
    Clevo has a reputation of building some kick-*ss gaming systems, used by high-end custom boutiques. They have a very good reputation for quality. My Serval is gorgeous. I have not had a problem witCheck out reviews online of Clevo - you will see that you are getting tremendous value in Pangolin.
    Definitely go for the higher resolution screen. It is well worth it.
    Just how closely based are these computers? I've been wanting to buy a Pangolin recently, but I've been turned off by the low battery life. I see that Clevo offers a nine-cell battery for their m760su, and if I can just buy one of those then I might be sold.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
    Just how closely based are these computers? I've been wanting to buy a Pangolin recently, but I've been turned off by the low battery life. I see that Clevo offers a nine-cell battery for their m760su, and if I can just buy one of those then I might be sold.
    I can't see a closer image on their website but it appears to be exactly the same laptop and specs match up.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast