Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Review of Pangolin Performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Review of Pangolin Performance

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Screen is heaver then keyboard/computer part of laptop making the laptop tilt backwards if sitting on laptop, couch, bed, or any other soft surface that may not be completely level
    thought LED screens weigh less!!

Beans

can't wait to buy a Pangolin Performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, my company ordered two of the Pangolins for us techs the other day so I'm hoping they'll be here in a couple of weeks.

We work for an ISP and are constantly using our computers in a less than hospitable environment, and I'm hoping that they will stand up to the stress of the job. The reviews I've read have been overwhelming positive on the construction and the support so I have high hopes.

I will post a review once I've had a chance to play with it some.
    Murphy was an optimist.

Beans

l be waiting for your review iwc5893

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by eddietours View Post
    l be waiting for your review iwc5893
    You'll be waiting a while. We were informed the other day that our order is delayed about 3 weeks due to the Chinese New Year. I'm not complaining though, especially if they are as good as I've heard and it's worth the wait.

Once we get them, it will take a few days to get them set up so that we can use them at work (specialty ISP software and such) so it will be some time after that that I post a review.

I will say that we use our computers in every weather condition imaginable (sun, sand, rain, sleet, snow, dust) and spend a lot of time using them outdoors. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk my boss into spending $6K on toughbooks, which is what we really should have.
    Murphy was an optimist.

Beans

This is not meant to be a comprehensive review but merely some thoughts on the process of acquiring and using a Pangolin Performance during the past few months.

About five months ago I was looking for a new laptop. As a Linux user I tried to find a good machine for my needs (fairly portable, large enough screen res., at least 4GB ram, decent graphic card, pretty design, and affordable price) that would not include Windows. While searching online, I discovered the System 76 website and their line of products of which I considered Pangolin to be something that I was looking for with a decent price. I also read great feedback on the company's quick and knowledgeable support. Then, I was ready to order.

As many other users on this forum who do not live in the US, ordering wasn't a simple thing. Luckily I had an American friend who agreed to fill in an order and ship it to his brother's address as he currently wasn't staying in the country. I was to pick up the machine when I would travel to US later the same month. Both the ordering and delivery were hassle-free and the machine was delivered quicker than anticipated, and this was around the time when System 86 had some growth pains that were reflected in deliveries in some other cases. Maybe I was lucky but I was certainly happy.

Then came the first meeting. Package contained all items that I expected. Later on I had to change the power cord to match the power outlets in Finland. I booted up the computer and played a bit to ensure that everything worked. Screen was very clear, mouse pad sensitive enough and overall design was positive. Keyboard, after I got used to it, proved to be excellent (except for the fact that one key is missing as per US English vs Finnish keyboard layout differences). I didn't notice any problems so I packed the device for the rest of the trip and took the beast home.

After using the panp5 for a few months, I still like it very much and I am glad not to have paid the MS tax. There are only two minor issues that I have noticed:

1. After a while, a stuck pixel (red) appeared on my screen. I have read tutorials on how to remove one but have not found yet courage to start massaging as software-based approach didn't work. The red pixel is only visible when the screen is dark, which is not very often in my case. Hence, I am able to live with it.
    2. Battery life has not been as good as I had wished for. I had read from the forums that the battery life could be from 1.5h to 2.5h. I seem to be getting less than 2h although I never tried the trick to run the battery all empty and then recharging it. I use the laptop mostly at home so the battery life is not a big of a deal. However, I will be traveling more later this year and I am already looking for a battery pack with higher capacity but so far it doesn't look good. Does someone know where to get one?

Despite these minor challenges, I would buy from System76 again. Let's see how long my panp5 lasts - I expect at least 3-4 years of a lifetime. Thank you, System76, for providing the good stuff. I look forward to seeing you in Europe!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by thlaine View Post
    This is not meant to be a comprehensive review but merely some thoughts on the process of acquiring and using a Pangolin Performance during the past few months.
    -- SNIP --
    Just to throw another quick review out there, I've had my PanP5 for about 7 months now, and I have nothing but good things to say about the laptop. It gets used daily, and I lug it between work and home every day.

Other then what comes stock below is what my system has:
    - Processor Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2
    - Memory 4 GB - DDR2 800 MHz - 2 DIMMs
    - Display Resolution 15.4" WSXGA+ Super Clear Glossy LCD
    - Hard Drive 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II

I'm still running the stock version of Ubuntu 9.04 that came pre-loaded, and it's worked out great. Below are a hand full of the things I do on my PanP5 most on a daily bases --
    - Watch Hulu and other streaming videos on HDTV using VGA output (HDMI doesn't quite work in 9.04 but I hear it's fixed in 9.10)
    - Using VirtualBox I have Windows XP loaded where I work with MS SQL 2008 and MS Visual Studio 2008 for work stuff. I also get much of my music through iTunes via VirtualBox (never could get it installed via Wine).
    - I code in Linux using Qt Developer, MonoDevelop, and NetBeans (PHP Development)
    - Though I'm not a gamer, I've tested FreeCiv, Nexuiz, Planeshift, Vendetta Online, and Warsow, all of which run great!
    - I use Skype from time to time for calls, though the on board microphone isn't the best. I suggest using an external mic.
    - Streaming video through UStream also works with the latest 64-bit Flash plugin
    - Last semester I took online classes for the first time, and Pronto, the chat client used at my school, worked great in Wine though it's only available for Windows. Also the online biology labs worked, though it took some work to get Shockwave working in Linux.
    - I use the VPN client in the Gnome Network Connections app to connect into work then the Terminal Services client to RDP into work desktop.
    - OpenOffice is great! I use it for all personal and work documents, even when sharing with folks who use MS Office.
    - I do web development and use the Gimp for all my graphics editing. No need for photoshop
    - I've installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL to test websites locally, and it works great!
    - Webmin is also installed which I like using for some of the server admin stuff.
    - Rhythmbox is what I use for MP3, Podcasts, and listening to Magnatune and SomaFM, which I listen to most days at work.
    - I use Thunderbird with the calendar extensions for email, and Firefox for web. I have Google Chrome installed, but I prefer Firefox.
    - Bluetooth works as expected.. I've shared files with both my wife's MacBook and also my Motorola phone (not a Smartphone -- just regular ol' flip phone).
    - Some of the many other apps I use daily are XChat for IRC, Pidgin for chat, SyncTerm for BBSing, KMyMoney for my budget (still learning this), Calibre for eBooks, and lots more.

So all and all I LIVE on this thing, and it has always treated me well. As Linux goes I've had some quarks, like I had to remove the IcedTea Java and replace it with Sun Java for some sites to work properly, namely my stuff for school, and I installed the Adobe PDF Reader instead of using what came from Ubuntu. I also haven't been able to get Real Audio to work, which is all our local NPR station streams in (blah). And as I said before it was kindofa PITA to get Shockwave working since Adobe has no Linux client for Shockwave. Also Battery life is less then perfect, but that's the 'give' in Give and Take... but IMO there's enough Take to make-up for it

The one MAIN thing I recommend people do is get a good laptop bag. When I bought my iBook 5 or 6 years ago I also picked-up a Timbuk2 messenger bag. These things have TONS of padding, and it's the least you can do to keep your stuff save. The website is http://www.timbuk2.com for anyone interested, but there are other bags just as good I'm sure. Mine has gone through hell and back, and like I said it gets toted from work to home and back daily. Do yourselves a favor and don't go cheap on this... I think that's one reason so many laptops get hosed, even small things like pixels going tard, is because the laptops are jolted around while being moved. Here's my trusty bag:

Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions. Take care --

Sam
    Last edited by samalex; February 17th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

I love my laptop. I put a bad karmic update on it so I had to re-install once. But it works well only freezes once a week or so. Only nagative is sometime the screen will not shut down when the computer is off.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mcm307 View Post
    I love my laptop. I put a bad karmic update on it so I had to re-install once. But it works well only freezes once a week or so. Only nagative is sometime the screen will not shut down when the computer is off.
    Only freezes once a week and screen will not shut down when computer is off??? I had one freeze last week which was the first and only time it's happened, but if yours is freezing once a week then something's not right.

Maybe my system runs so well because I'm still using the stock version of 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 that came from System76, though I have loaded all updates from Ubuntu as soon as they come out. Also I've loaded TONS of crap on it and even tinkered with the back-end config files a great deal ... but still this thing just keeps on going strong If only I could persuade my Windows purist friends to give Ubuntu or System76 a shake.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans

I just want to say that I actually love the mouse pad. It is highly responsive and sensitive. With most laptops, to get from one end of the screen to another you have to drag your finger many times across the pad... with the Pangolin (PanP6) my mouse-padding finger is happy since one drag on the pad suffices. Thanks!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567