Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Driver BCM4318 wireless internet

Beans

[SOLVED] Driver BCM4318 wireless internet

Hello,

I am completely new to the linux system. I installed ubuntu a couple days ago on my computer and I thought with some internettutorials I should be able to find my way somehow. But there started my first problem and al the other problems so far are caused by this first problem.

My computer had (when it driverd on windows xp) a wireless connection with my router. I am not able to go wired due some problems (called parrents). So I do need the wireless thing. But ubuntu can't connect to my router somehow. I tryed to type the details in myself to connect to it but it just doesn't work. It ask's me everytime again for the wepkey. Then I type it in again and it searches and then it askes again for the key.

So I thought maybe the thing needs a driver. So I searched for drivers and how stupid it may be I found a driver and with some help of a friend I actually installed it and then I found out it was for my lan card and not for my wlan card. So I searched again.

And there starts the big problem. I found out that my wlan card is a BCM4318 and I found out that there are only windows drivers. Or I just can't find the linux version but I read on some fora that there aren't linux drivers. Now I searched further and I found out there is this program for linux called ndiswrapper. With this program installed I should be able to install a windows driver on my linux system and then hopefully my wireless internet works.

But I don't have a clue how to install it. I did found a version on the internet of ndiswrapper but I got some errors like can't leave the directory after the installation and then the complete installation quits and nothing is installed (I did this installation by the readme file).

Can someone please help me with a good how to install the ndiswrapper and then install my driver? And maybe if someone knows where to find the good install of the ndiswrapper and the driver (maybe the files are corrupt I don't know).

I don't know what command's to use I am completely new to the linux system, I just found some commands and with a good explanation I should be able to find my way. But I am really stuck here. Cause I can't even listen music cause I need a codec plugin but without the internet I can't download it. And wired internet is really not a option so please don't start about wired.

Can someone please help me?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Driver BCM4318 wireless internet

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=262201

See if this thread and the one it links to helps you any.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans

Thanks, it's a clear explanation but I got stuck there to. I got http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=93482 the stable version there. I unzipped it on my laptop with windows and then got it in to my ubuntu system. But the command in that tutorial doesn't work and the readme file with the files don't work either. It says to go in to the diretory. I got in. Then type make install when I do this I get:

make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/chocolaatje/Bureaublad/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic M=/home/chocolaatje/Bureaublad/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
    make[2]:Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
    echo /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc
    install -m 6044 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc
    install: cannot remove `/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc/ndiswrapper.ko': Permission denied
    make[1] *** [install] Error 1
    make[1] Leaving directory `/home/chocolaatje/Bureaublad/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

oh and Bureaublad is destkop I have the dutch version here .

But what does it mean's or what am i doing wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!

Did you use "sudo" with any of those commands
    that looks like your problem

Beans

Yes I do use sudo, what do I have to use then?

Oh wait not with these commands I did use it with other commands.

Here it says:

make uninstall
    make

Login as root and run
    make install

Login as root I use sudo bash... maybe I need something else? With that make uninstall I get:

cannot remove `/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/misc/ndiswrapper.ko': permission denied....
    Last edited by Bonbonbloc; August 27th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Technically in Ubuntu you do not login as root, you use sudo before each command to elevate your current user to root status.

And just in case you ask, yes you can do some things to enable logging into root, but that is not recomended, and is not supported by these forums.

Beans

But now I have this in the info:

make uninstall
    make

Login as root and run
    make install

so I used sudo make uninstall and that one worked. But the make I get a error, even if I use sudo make.

Both I get an error like:

make[1]: *** [loadndisdriver] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/chocolaatje/Bureaublad/ndiswrapper-1.53/utils'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Same error apears when I use:

make install or sudo make install

So what to use then? Or what's wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not sure what to make of that... let me ask around.

Beans

Shure I'll be waiting here haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast