Thread: Insatll of 8.04 on Windows

Beans

Insatll of 8.04 on Windows

One of the options when loading a downloaded cd is to install Ubuntu in Windows. For those of you have done this, is it a viable option? That is, how much trouble is it and if there is a problem, can it be uninstalled? I want to install it on a Toshiba laptop that I use for a lot of stuff, including consultant work. I don't want to mess up the Toshiba.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Insatll of 8.04 on Windows

Moved to ABT Hi and welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I've never tried it before, but I hear good things. There are only two reasons why installing Ubuntu could damage another OS: first, you could delete the other OS when setting up partitions, and second, the boot loader might not add the other OS (I have never seen this). Wubi (the program that allows you to install Ubuntu in Windows) doesn't require you to do either. Apparently it's very straightforward and safe. You can remove it from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel if you don't like it.

Welcome to the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    I've never tried it before, but I hear good things. There are only two reasons why installing Ubuntu could damage another OS: first, you could delete the other OS when setting up partitions, and second, the boot loader might not add the other OS (I have never seen this). Wubi (the program that allows you to install Ubuntu in Windows) doesn't require you to do either. Apparently it's very straightforward and safe. You can remove it from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel if you don't like it.

Welcome to the community.
    To use Wubi, simply insert the LiveCD while windows is running and Ubuntu will install just like any other program, which also means it can be removed easily through Windows' Add/Remove Programs.

Edit: See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide for more details.