Thread: [SOLVED] Installed Windows XP on another partition, Ubuntu doesn't boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

[SOLVED] Installed Windows XP on another partition, Ubuntu doesn't boot

I just installed XP on my 2nd partition on my laptop. Windows overwrote my MBR and I can't boot into Ubuntu anymore. I used the Super Grub Disk and tried to restore my grub files to the mbr, but it didn't work. I couldn't even use SGD to boot the Ubuntu partition without restoring the MBR. I know my filesystem and grub are still intact on the first Ubuntu partition, since I used Ext2IFS to view the Ubuntu partition from Windows XP. Is there something else I can try so Ubuntu will be bootable and intact?
    Toshiba Laptop - Intel Core2 Duo 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, Ubuntu Desktop 8.04
    Desktop - AMD 64 x2 6400+ Black Edition, 4GB DDR2, 80GB/320GB HDD, Windows Vista Business x64

Beans

Re: Installed Windows XP on another partition, Ubuntu doesn't boot

You are going to need this guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot, I'll try it out. Seems like exactly what I was looking for.
    Toshiba Laptop - Intel Core2 Duo 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, Ubuntu Desktop 8.04
    Desktop - AMD 64 x2 6400+ Black Edition, 4GB DDR2, 80GB/320GB HDD, Windows Vista Business x64

Or check out Super GRUB Disk.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguyxp View Post
    I used the Super Grub Disk and tried to restore my grub files to the mbr, but it didn't work. I couldn't even use SGD to boot the Ubuntu partition without restoring the MBR.

I used what damis648 posted, and it worked perfectly.