Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: WPA2 with NETGEAR WPN111

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: WPA2 with NETGEAR WPN111

So you are good with the WG111 adapter? Glad to hear it

edit: For anyone who is still having issues and needs to install the 64bit driver, there IS a 64bit driver for the WG111v2. It is available from the Netgear website.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713

You need to install that driver software in Wine, then take the correct .inf file from the installation.
    Last edited by itsjareds; October 3rd, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by itsjareds View Post
    Update: I recently re-installed Ubuntu with Jaunty. I uninstalled a few months ago after I couldn't keep my connection stable (constant random disconnects). Anyways, I found that this solution does not work in Jaunty, at least for me using the same computer. Here's the way I got my adapter to receive signal in Jaunty:

1. Installed the packages I attached on the first post. These are still needed.

2. Install your NETGEAR driver in ndiswrapper (For a GUI, use ndisgtk at System > Admin. > Windows Wireless Drivers).

3. Open Wicd at Applications > Internet > Wicd Network Manager. Once the window is open, find and click the Preferences button at the top.

Set your WPA Supplicant Driver to wext, not ndiswrapper. Using the command line shows that ndiswrapper doesn't seem to work. You still need ndiswrapper to get your adapter blinking. Then, set Wireless interface to "wlan0". Close the preferences.

4. Refresh the connections list by clicking the Refresh button. Then, find your network and select it, and open the Advanced Settings section. Select Use Encryption and set your encryption type to WPA 1/2 (Passphrase). Enter your passphrase in the text box next to it.

5. You should be good to go. Try connecting, you'll be happy to see that it worked.

6. *UPDATE* I've been able to reconnect ONE TIME after losing connection. This is possible if you install ndiswrapper v1.55 from the source (download page).

Then, run my script in the attachments when you lose connection (reinstalls the wireless driver on ndiswrapper). This only has partial success, it will only work after the first time you lose connection and it doesn't always work. It's better than nothing.

Make sure before you run the script to change the location of the .inf file that your netgear driver is saved in. If you point it to your existing ndiswrapper driver folder, it won't work because ndiswrapper deletes that directory when uninstalling a driver. Create another folder with your driver and point to that .inf file.

If you have any problems, please ask me. I wrote this after I successfully connected, and don't want to risk messing up my delicate connection again by re-doing it. I may have skipped a step accidentally, so don't hesitate to ask.

Hello there. Do I still need to un-install "Network Manager"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You could give it a try with NetworkManager, but I never had any success (never tried too hard). I wish I could test it now but I don't have this adapter anymore.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: WPA2 with NETGEAR WPN111

Hi, I installed ubuntu with my friend today, and it's great! after he left, I got to work on setting up the Internet. I have followed all of your steps succesfully with the WPN111 adapter, and it's worked fine, so far. The only problem is, that when I refresh the network list, nothing shows up!! Please help me with this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, thanks for following my tutorial. Just a warning that I'm not a linux guru (yet) so I might not know it all . I just posted this howto with what information I gathered while figuring it out myself.

Can you open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type "iwconfig" with no quotes? Please copy and paste the output from the terminal and post it in a [code] tag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: HOWTO: WPA2 with NETGEAR WPN111

Hey itsjareds. Downloaded your drivers and followed your instructions. Worked like a charm. Many thanks .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have fun

Beans

I did what you said and it came up with:
    alec@Alec-comp:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

wlan1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID: "NETGEAR"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00: 1E: 2A: 50: 0B: 86
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
    Link Quality:40/100 Signal level: -70 dBm Noise level: -96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

by the way, my network NETGEAR is now showing up when I use wlan1 instea of wlan0. The problem is, when I click connect, it loads for a minute or so, and then nothing happens... Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Which network manager are you using? I would recommend installing Wicd. If you haven't changed your network manager then you are using NetworkManager Applet (default). With Wicd you can change the scanning interface to wlan1 if that is what works.

Beans

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone using Karmic Koala 9.10. With an out of the box installation, I used the wired connection to download and install the three ndis packages mentioned in the first post (common, utils, and the GUI). I used the GUI to install the driver attached to the first post, and it worked. No fiddling, no uninstalling of network managers, etc.

I should note however that the GUI gave me some odd messages. When I chose the INF file, it said "could not detect hardware" or something, and yet in the left pane it said the opposite. Also, the "network configuration" button in the GUI didn't work. I just went through the network applet that's in the GNOME panel.

I'm only using WEP, so I don't know if it works with WPA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast