Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] XSane totally fills screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

[SOLVED] XSane totally fills screen

Hi community!

I just managed to install my Epson V200 scanner in Hardy (it worked OK in Gutsy) but I found a strange problem.

Preview works OK but when I make a full scan (depending on the final image size) then the viewer screen takes over my whole screen & cannot then be closed.

I Googled about this & found several reports of the same problem, but no solutions...

All suggestions (even just escape routes) gratefully received!

Thanks!
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: XSane totally fills screen

what's your screen resolution?

what size are the images you scan?

can you choose "save" instead of "viewer" before scanning and open the file in a different program? The XSANE viewer is not the best image viewer I know... It has a few problems with zoom too.

A problem I often find with GTK+ Applications is that the windows become "jumpy" if they are larger than the screen and move if you focus them. Is that the case?

have you installed compiz? If yes, is the plugin "Wobbly Windows" activated?
    KARMIC ROX

The pole caps are melting, the penguins are going into the computers, the apples are falling from the trees and the glass in the windows is shattering!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for your reply.

Screen resolution is 1280 x 1024

I was just playing with XSane to see if/how it works, having only just re-installed my scanner.
    I let it run it's default settings: A4 - 300dpi - binary
    This makes a 1.1MB image.
    Nothing excessive!

I had never heard of compiz or wobbly windows, but a check in Synaptic shows compiz is installed (must be standard - is that why I get grey dimming windows?).
    I don't know if wobbly windows is installed or not.
    I have certainly not installed it.
    I have not yet found out how to check that (still Googling...).
    Am I better with/without wobbly windows & with/without compiz?

A problem I often find with GTK+ Applications is that the windows become "jumpy" if they are larger than the screen and move if you focus them. Is that the case?
    Sorry - I don't quite follow that...

I suppose I could "save" but I would prefer to try getting XSane to work, if it's just a question of setting/correcting something.

In the meantime, I found I could "escape" by "Alt-Tab" then closing the Xsane window - not very elegant, but better than switching off the PC!
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Further playing around shows that when the Viewer window is "big" (covering the Ubuntu desktop panel) then if I hover the mouse cursor over any of the Viewer buttons (rotation, zoom etc) then the screen does indeed get "jumpy" - I couldn't put it better!

If I use Alt/Tab to bring up the little XSane window, then I get the desktop panel, but lose the Viewer buttons.

I tried uninstalling & reinstalling XSane, with no effect.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I added Configuration Editor in the Applications > System Tools menu, so can now see stuff about compiz & wobbly, but I don't understand any of it...

I could certainly answer simple questions or upload screenshots of anything relevant...

Thanks! (said hopefully...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by marufaberlin View Post
    can you choose "save" instead of "viewer" before scanning and open the file in a different program? The XSANE viewer is not the best image viewer I know... It has a few problems with zoom too.
    Yes, that works OK so no urgency to get XSane viewer working, I suppose.

I would still like to know how to fix it though, if anybody has any ideas...

Beans
    Distro

well, can you maybe post some screenshots?
    what happens if you scan an area of 32*32 pixels or so?
    a small area at a low resolution?

pleas post screenshots of those situations.
    KARMIC ROX

The pole caps are melting, the penguins are going into the computers, the apples are falling from the trees and the glass in the windows is shattering!

Beans

Same problem here!!

If i scan small picture (that fits in screen) then viewer works BUT pictures i want to scan are always bigger. So the automatic zoom doesn't work.

If i choose SAVE to picture target it works okay. But it makes more job, because i want to see picture scanned before i save it.

I have compiz working, but it makes same thing without compiz.

I think this is small flying thing that is between relay contacts...

BUG.

Beans
    Distro

Could be
    KARMIC ROX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Deleted - sorry!
    Last edited by 2CV67; August 30th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast