Thread: No Gnome Theme Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] No Gnome Theme Manager

I want to install an icon package that I downloaded from Gnome-Look.org, but all the instructions for installation I find tell me to open the Gnome Theme Manager... I don't have one of those. I can't find anything resembling it, either, and I tried installing it in the terminal by typing in:

sudo apt-get install gnome-theme-manager
    but it tells me that it can't find the package.

I'm a complete Linux newbie, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but please help me find it. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, and I have Compiz and Emerald installed and running.
    Last edited by broken tibula; August 27th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: No Gnome Theme Manager

System > Preferences > Appearance will get you to the themes. There's an install button there, but you should also be able to drag and drop themes into that window. If I remember correctly, you can just drag the tar.gz file without unpacking anything.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right-click on the Desktop. Select "Change Desktop Background." This opens the "Background" Tab of "Appearance Preferences", from which you can choose any other tab to change the other settings.

(I mention this because it's probably the most intuitive way to access these settings for a former Windows user.)

Choose the "Theme" tab, select a theme, and click "Customize" at the bottom. From here, you can alter most of your theme settings. If you have a theme or icon set to install, choose "Install" instead of "Customize."
    Veni, vidi, dormivi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks so much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thumbs down Re: No Gnome Theme Manager