Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why should i use ubuntu

Beans

why should i use ubuntu

I used to have Ubuntu Hardy on my computer through Wubi, which claimed to have full Ubuntu functionality. I ended up uninstalling it - despite the fact that it loaded up quicker and I really liked the functionality, it just didn't work...Certain things, like ActiveX controls, Java, Flash just wouldn't show, and there was a "play" icon in a gray circle. Also, even though I was on a nice Dell XPS desktop (which desperately needs reformatting, but still) the fan would be louder than with Windows XP and the computer would heat up.

So my question is, did I do something wrong by having a computer in bad shape run Wubi? Or does Ubuntu always have little problems like that, such as servers being down when you're trying to download AVI codecs??? I really like the Open Source movement, and asked a few questions on here to try and figure out how to dual boot, but after my experience I'm not so sure. Was it a fluke or is Ubuntu always like that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: why should i use ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by biggiemokey View Post
    I used to have Ubuntu Hardy on my computer through Wubi, which claimed to have full Ubuntu functionality. I ended up uninstalling it - despite the fact that it loaded up quicker and I really liked the functionality, it just didn't work...Certain things, like ActiveX controls, Java, Flash just wouldn't show, and there was a "play" icon in a gray circle. Also, even though I was on a nice Dell XPS desktop (which desperately needs reformatting, but still) the fan would be louder than with Windows XP and the computer would heat up.

So my question is, did I do something wrong by having a computer in bad shape run Wubi? Or does Ubuntu always have little problems like that, such as servers being down when you're trying to download AVI codecs??? I really like the Open Source movement, and asked a few questions on here to try and figure out how to dual boot, but after my experience I'm not so sure. Was it a fluke or is Ubuntu always like that?
    You need to install the Ubuntu restricted extras.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners.

Beans

I have to ask, why would you want activeX running on your computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if you dual boot , like i do youre experience will be much better.

Beans

No Wubi just stinks, it is not a real linux install but instead is Linux ran inside Windows. For a starters that means you cant get the same speed etc with Wubi as you would with a full real install of Ubuntu. Now all that said don't expect everything in Ubuntu to be simple as sometimes learning how to get something working might take some research. But as to why use Ubuntu? , duh to FREE YOURSELF from a megalomaniac crappy OS maker who shall remain nameless & instead join the open source community to which aforementioned corporate bullies will never participate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ActiveX won't work. Flash / Java works fine if you install them.

As for the fan - depends on your mobo's linux drivers. Or sometimes on BIOS settings.

As for the question... Why should you use Ubuntu?

Only you can decide the answer to that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    I have to ask, why would you want activeX running on your computer?
    I am wondering the same thing as Zero.

The majority of legit sites do not use ActiveX anymore because of the vulnerabilities if has to potentially compromise your computer.

If you REALLY need ActiveX for something you can just run IE though WINE.

Also, your box may be working harder because it is indeed running 2 operating systems instead of just one. WinBlows annihilates system resources in most cases and there isn't much left for Ubunutu to use. Your best bet is to simply get the LiveCD and boot from that and play with it and if you like it, resize your WinBlows partition and do a dual-boot.

Beans

the restricted extras definitely help out in functionality. Having to do with your other remarks, remember you were running two OS's at the same time and having any issues will just compound that..

For the ActiveX comment, you can not get ActiveX to work on Windows using firefox, so it is not going to work on Ubuntu... you are going to have to need IE for that. And in general there will always be issues you find in Ubuntu that you will not find in Windows and the other way around too.. they are different OS's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Was it a fluke or is Ubuntu always like that?
    It is often like that, in my experience over 5 years of linux on my desktop. (I have never extensively used a windows XP desktop so I can't compare with the dominant OS)

However many of the problems are due to the proprietary nature of codecs, flash etc. They cannot be installed by default with the ubuntu system. Flash (including youtube) often runs poorly, crashes when set to fullscreen etc.

There have always been a few outstanding bugs or annoyances that affected me in all the versions of ubuntu I have used - that has to be said.

The latest one: I would like to set my keyboard to Polish as default, while leaving the system language as English. The System->Preferences->Keyboard method fails - the bug has been recognised and listed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xravexheavenx View Post
    Also, your box may be working harder because it is indeed running 2 operating systems instead of just one. WinBlows annihilates system resources in most cases and there isn't much left for Ubunutu to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by vorgusa View Post
    Having to do with your other remarks, remember you were running two OS's at the same time and having any issues will just compound that..
    I really think this is a misconception.
    Wubi installs Ubuntu into a virtual partition, but it is not a virtual PC of any kind. So even if you have installed Ubuntu through Wubi, at boot time you choose either windows or Ubuntu. Either one runs, but not both at the same time.
    There may be a small performance penalty involved by using virtual partitions rather than real ones, but other than for large files or database intensive applications I tend to doubt you will ever really notice it.
    I'm thinking about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast