Thread: Need recommendation:

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Need recommendation:

I find I need another laptop.

I have an Acer and I do have it working with Hardy; however, not with some tweaks here and there, one of which involved me pulling out the broadcom card and inserting an atheros card. Got tired of messing with ndiswrapper and fwcutter. The former worked better, but I still had issues with it scanning available networks.

Here are the requirements so if anyone has something working already that fits these conditions, please post here.

I want to use Hardy
    Wifi works out of box and does not require reinstalling something every time the kernel updates.
    Graphics can handle compiz and/or advanced graphics settings in kde4
    Is below or around $700-$800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need recommendation:

If you have an atheros wifi card in ur current Acer, why not take it with you in any new laptop?

Apart from wifi, it is unusual to struggle with other components (apart from perhaps power-saving issues e.g. Suspend / Hibernate etc).

Laptop components change very quickly, so finding identical machines is somewhat tricky.

My Acer 5051AWXMi is over 1 year old and just works (altho I don't use suspend etc - so dunno about that stuff).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think after using my athlon-nvidia-atheros equiped laptop and reading many posts on this here that going mostly intel, for a laptop, makes the most sense (intel wireless & cpu anyway). It's what I would do if I were to buy again. Have a look at some of the HP's they will fall in that price range with discounts the dv5t might too if you shop around.
    HP's offerings-specs.
    Last edited by phidia; August 26th, 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: provided link
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

i've been experiencing good things with my hp dv6000 so far. mine worked out of the box except for wireless. i also have a broadcom wifi, but i used this tutorial to get it running and have never had a single problem with it ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769990 )

other than that, its compatible with compiz, and all of the cool blue buttons and remote control all worked with no fuss.