Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: samba question

Beans
    Hidden!

samba question

i just did a fresh install on my work machine. i open the network, select the correct one, it lists all the machines on the network fine. when i select the server ('warehouse') where everything is, nautilus comes up with nothing--just blank. i had other machines that worked fine out of the box, so i am not familiar with how to configure anything here. i did a search and am still working on it, but if anyone can help me out, i would appreciate it. our network manager is suspicious of me for installing linux and i will have to go back to (horrible!) vista if i can't get this sorted quickly. thanks in advance...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: samba question

Quote Originally Posted by benner View Post
    i just did a fresh install on my work machine. ...
    Are you saying that you installed Ubuntu and are now trying to browse for shares on a Windows network?

If so, you need to install "smbfs". This is the client used to browse for the shares. From the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smbfs
    This should install the client and the needed dependencies.

Samba is a server to allow Windows clients to access files on a Ubuntu host.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is (was?) a gvfs bug that doesn't allow viewing just the server - you need //server/share.

Here is the thread where I found the link.
    Last edited by Iowan; August 27th, 2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Found link
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks. but it didn't work. still blank. i installed the tools. i edited the config. nothing yet.

Beans
    Hidden!

still nothing? again, when i installed ubuntu last year, the network appeared and i was easily able to select the machine i wanted to access. i had a login/password set up in windows to access the network. when i installed ubuntu, i created an account with the same login/password and voila!

now, i can't access anything. i am a teacher, test-driving ubuntu in my classroom, still trying to convince the administration to stop pirating all their software and to try making the switch. but my students and the other teachers depend on having access to network drives.

this should be a no-brainer. if i can't solve this, i don't have a chance. please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans
    Hidden!

unbelievable that this bug has been around so long. so if i understand correctly, no one can view windows shares out of the box in hardy because of a bug that has been around for 6 months? i've installed on 7 machines recently and none of them can browse network folders. the folders all appear empty. there must be a million people using ubuntu machines on windows networks. are we all having the same issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yep, thats the state of things.

At least the gnome developers have finally realized their gvfs library needs fixing:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=524485#c26

Beans

interesting about the Samba question. I also am a teacher with a classroom of ubuntus installed on top of Virtual PC 2007. The temporary workaround I am using is a web server with http upload- that way students can get their files up and down. This allows all students access to files they need but I coded the http uploader to only give them access to their own directory. Also Windows Server 2003 has an option for Linux/Unix but I have not gotten around to checking it yet, Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!

i now have the intrepid RC running (fresh install) and still have the same problem. 2 things are keeping me from switching full time on my work machine and installing in my classroom:

1) we have no access to our files on the network

2) i can't connect to any of the NEC projectors in the school, wired or wireless.
    (here's my thread on that one
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=957170

no luck so far on the forum here with either of these issues. any help will e appreciated and will lead to 17 new grade 5 ubuntu users. your assistance will be appreciated...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast