Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Search Indexing not working after update

Beans

Family Search Indexing not working after update

I know there are a few of you out there who use Family Search Indexing (familysearchindexing.org), so hopefully one of you sees this.

After the recent update, I haven't been able to get the program to start. Every time I run the iude.jnlp file I get "A special update to the familysearch indexing application has been completed. Start the application as you usually do." and then it removes old JAR files and shuts down.

Is anyone having the same problem, or have you found a workaround?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Family Search Indexing not working after update

Just in case anyone has the same problem, here is the solution that I found:

The workaround at:
    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=4729636

The Indexing application is trying to access the prefs.tmp file with insufficient privileges, so you need to chmod the files it's trying to access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

sorry but i do not speak english

Tengo el mismo error con mi hermano nos paso y no hemos conseguido arreglarlo fui al link

pero no entiendo bien, me gustaria saber que hiciste porque eso del script es solo para solaris?

si pudieras ponerlo paso a paso entenderia lo traduzco con google

Traduccion Google

I have the same mistake with my brother we step and we have failed to fix it I went to link

but I do not understand well, I would like to know who did this because the script is only for Solaris?

if you could put it step by step to understand what I translate google

I have ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn
    I from Guatemala

Beans

This is the important part of the article:

For the record, these directories need to exist with permissions 755:
    /etc/.java/
    /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/

These files should be created with permissions 644:
    /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock
    /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile

You need to change the permissions for these files. This can be done in the terminal - something like

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/.java/ /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/
    sudo chmod 644 .java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock .java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile

Tiene que modificar los permisos para estos archivos. Puede hacerse en la terminal - algo así como

Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/.java/ /etc/.java/.systemPrefs/
    sudo chmod 644 .java/.systemPrefs/.system.lock .java/.systemPrefs/.systemRootModFile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Family Search Indexing not working after update

Gracias por contestar amigo, eso que mencionas aqui ya lo había hecho, pero no funciona

no se si me falta tener algo, mi hermano tiene tambien el java JDK instalado pero tampoco le funcionó

Thanks for answering friend, that you mention here had already done so, but it does not work

pentium4-desktop:/etc$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)

I do not know if I do not have something, my brother has also installed the Java JDK but neither worked

Beans

Lo siento. No recuerdo exactamente lo que hice, pero creo que necesitaba cambiar los permisos a todos los archivos a 755 o incluso 666 - Sé que probablemente no es la cosa más segura, sino que trabajó ...

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think I might have had to change the permissions on all of those files to 755 or even 666 - I know it's probably not the safest thing, but it worked...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoote View Post
    I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think I might have had to change the permissions on all of those files to 755 or even 666 - I know it's probably not the safest thing, but it worked...
    I tried changing those permissions to even 666 and it didn't work. I'm also trying to get this same program working for me. Do you have any other ideas what you did?

Beans

Shoot! I wish I remembered - I want to do all I can to promote FamilySearch

And I'm no Linux expert, so chances are I was just guessing when I did whatever I did.

I'm still running FamilySearch, and I can try to tell you my setup.

I'm using Java 1.6.0_06, and both my .java and .systemPreferences look like this when I do an ls:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-08-23 11:30 .java

i.e., read and execute permissions for the group and for others. I thought I added write permissions, too, but I guess not.

You could try

Code:
    sudo chmod a+rwx /etc/.java
    It's probably a bad idea to give that kind of permissions, but I don't know what else to tell you...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The output of java -version is

Code:
    java version "1.6.0_07"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)
    I tried the last chmod command even and it didn't help. I just hope someone stumbles across this thread and knows how to help...
    Last edited by firefeather; September 27th, 2008 at 12:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got it to work! I doubt it's because of the reinstall, but I reinstalled Java so it is the same version as you, and then I followed the instructions I was able to find here. I haven't rebooted yet (I wonder if it really will do anything...), but I was able to get in without being stuck in that loop! I will post an update if the fix isn't permanent or totally workable.

UPDATE: Rebooting did allow it to run as a normal user. I didn't expect to find help on the familysearchindexing.org website simply because they said they don't officially support Linux, but it works now!
    Last edited by firefeather; September 27th, 2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast