Thread: Flightgear vs X-Plane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Flightgear vs X-Plane

Hi everyone. Miss playing Flight Simulator X before I made the switch over to Ubuntu (which I'm really enjoying). Can anyone recommend Flightgear or X-Plane? I've heard that both have their good and bad points. I enjoy flying but also like checking out the sceneries, other aircraft, etc. Can anyone recommend either one of these? Are they comparable to FSX? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Flightgear vs X-Plane

You can demo both of them. I actually have X-Plane 9. At first I was disappointed until I began download new aircraft. Then things started to change. Some of the free aircraft to download are really incredible the amount of effort and work people have put into it. The weather is neat and bird strikes are interesting.

The copy of X-Plane I have is for Windows but I was able to make it work using the demo for Linux. With the latest patch it is incredibly fast with multicore CPU's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Flightgear vs X-Plane

Flightgear is also very impressive and is completely free and open-source. I have used both x-plane and flightgear and like them both very much, but I must admit neither of them is as good as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I only used Flight Simulator X for a short period of time, but thought that it was a step backwards from 2004 to be honest.

I suggest you try both and report back with what you like