Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Ubuntu

Beans

Understanding Ubuntu

Hi all,

I am a new Ubuntu user and have a few things I would like to discuss on the forum. I am sure my questions have been covered before in some way but with so much information out there, I haven't found anything that clears up my exact queries.

1) I am use to XP, and hardly ever needed to use the command prompt for anything with the level of computing I do. Something I have found a little intimidating with Ubuntu is the amount of time spent in terminal. It seams everything is run from there, virus scans, samba configuration, etc. My question is, why is so much time spent in terminal and not in GUI's etc. The language used in terminal is quite foreign to me, and I don't think I could memorize 10 % of the commands I have seen posted that perform relatively simple functions.

2) When I installed Ubuntu, I had to configure it with a password for my user account. I noticed that there are allot of things you need to give permission for to access and adjust settings. Is it necessary to have these passwords in place if I am the only one useing the computer? Do they provide any security for internet purposes etc?

3) When I right click on the 2 monitors in the top right corner, I can't select "Connection information". I found a post which I think suggest that this can only be accessed from the root level or something like that (or by ifconfig in terminal). Am I able to have all the privileges of the root level on my account to access such information without terminal?

Sorry if my question are a little novice, like I said I have only been exposed to windows up to this point. Any links to sites that have useful information for learning the Linux language would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, it is hard to believe that this software is free, the people who have put time into developing this software have done an excellent job and should be commended.

Regards Elbarto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Understanding Ubuntu

Hi I also am a pretty new user to Ubuntu.The terminal is used because it is faster and can perform more tasks.Also not all things are run from terminal and I actually find the Ubuntu *GUI more helpful and configurable than windows *GUI.It is true that the terminal has higher learning curve but in the end I used it more because it was faster and easier for me.Its just a matter of preference and you can still use the *GUI.

[snipped]

You don't need to all know all unix commands just the basic ones and use the *GUI for convenience.Here is a link to basic unix commands http://sunsite.utk.edu/UNIX-help/quickref.html

*GUI is the graphic interface*which just mean the menus and icons plus all graphics you see on your computer.
    Last edited by aysiu; August 25th, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Removed log in as root graphically instructions as per forum policy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: Understanding Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by elbarto_87 View Post
    Hi all,

1) I am use to XP, and hardly ever needed to use the command prompt ,
    It seams everything is run from there, virus scans, samba configuration, etc. My question is, why is so much time spent in terminal and not in GUI's etc.
    The language used in terminal is quite foreign to me,

2) When I installed Ubuntu, I had to configure it with a password for my user account. I noticed that there are allot of things you need to give permission for to access and adjust settings. Is it necessary to have these passwords in place if I am the only one useing the computer? Do they provide any security for internet purposes etc?

3) When I right click on the 2 monitors in the top right corner, I can't select "Connection information". I found a post which I think suggest that this can only be accessed from the root level or something like that (or by ifconfig in terminal). Am I able to have all the privileges of the root level on my account to access such information without terminal?

Sorry if my question are a little novice, like I said I have only been exposed to windows up to this point. Any links to sites that have useful information for learning the Linux language would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, it is hard to believe that this software is free, the people who have put time into developing this software have done an excellent job and should be commended.

Regards Elbarto

Hi Elbarto
    At first Welcome to Ubuntu World don't worry Because Linux is new for you ......Day after day you well be Professional.
    and there is small answer about your Questions :

1 - Terminal is Good Language to understand any Operating System
    Although WinXP
    But : Not All the Things you need to access by using terminal
    such as ADD/remove Applications , and so on
    Some times you need to use the terminal to solve bugs , install some Applications Such as RealPlayer11 , Google Earth and so on, the commands are very much but after the Frequently using you don't have any trouble to remember or save the post which holding the answer or the command.

2 - Configure The Password is Important for Security and The Integrity for the System ,and Permission secure The System
    you must to Log in as root from terminal
    if you are confused from Login screen while booting you can disable it and Login Automatically as your user and root .

3 - you can use the root orders by using [sudo]

finally if you need any help just Post and you well support you

good luck

madara
    Ubuntu : Hi......Microsoft : GoodBye.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Beans

welcome to linux/ubuntu!

1. another reason for many discussion to use terminal is that it allows precise execution of a series of action required. instead of writing a long paragraph trying to guide a user to perform something via GUI, it is easier and more accurate to do it via terminal. if you have tried to help someone less tech savvy to troubleshoot his/her winXP computer by guiding them around a few dialogs and configuration box, u will know what i mean.

2. yes, the need for password is important. vista introduced this as the infamous UAC too and causes the same reaction as yours too. winXP's poor history with viruses and malwares is because most home users run at admin privileges even for daily task. linux and most other OSes has separate account for admin and user making compromised user account less likely to affect the whole system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am a new Ubuntu user and have a few things I would like to discuss on the forum. I am sure my questions have been covered before in some way but with so much information out there, I haven't found anything that clears up my exact queries.
    First of all, welcome to Ubuntu! I'll try to answer your questions, but here's a list of resources that can be useful for newcomers and for general help:

1. Online Official Documentation for Ubuntu
    2. Community Managed Documentation for Ubuntu
    3. On the Gnome panel, click System->"About Ubuntu"
    4. On the Gnome panel, click System->"Help and Support"

1) I am use to XP, and hardly ever needed to use the command prompt for anything with the level of computing I do. Something I have found a little intimidating with Ubuntu is the amount of time spent in terminal. It seams everything is run from there, virus scans, samba configuration, etc. My question is, why is so much time spent in terminal and not in GUI's etc.

Actually, you are half-way right about the observation that a lot of time is spent on the terminal. Since you are already using Ubuntu, you might have noticed that you don't need the terminal all the time. Most things can be done in the GUI. But commands in the terminal have two advantages:

1. They have a very rich set of options that allow you to accomplish many tasks that would be cumbersome in the GUI
    2. They are easy to specify on the online forums.

Whenever someone asks for help on the forum, most replies mention some command that they can run in a terminal. This is because it becomes very cumbersome to provide GUI directions ... click here, then select this, then click that, then type this, and so on. Instead, a terminal command usually allows a precise description of what to do, in a very very short format.

The language used in terminal is quite foreign to me, and I don't think I could memorize 10 % of the commands I have seen posted that perform relatively simple functions.
    That's true. But you don't need to learn the language ... you'll get used to it over time. Also, when someone posts a command, you could try asking for a graphical way of doing the same. Maybe someone will scratch their head long enough to come up with directions to use the GUI!

Yes, having passwords is a very important security practice, whether or not you are connected to the internet. If you are the only one using the computer, there are easy ways to configure it so that it directly boots to your desktop without asking for a password. But whenever something needs to be done that changes system settings, it is good to have a password. This way, it is not possible for a malicious program to run in the background without you noticing it.

Important Note: Do not pay heed to postings that describe how to login as root without a password. Read the forum policy about such posts.

When I right click on the 2 monitors in the top right corner, I can't select "Connection information". I found a post which I think suggest that this can only be accessed from the root level or something like that (or by ifconfig in terminal). Am I able to have all the privileges of the root level on my account to access such information without terminal?
    I just tried that applet on my PC ... when you simply left click it, it provides a dialog with sufficient information, along with a button to configure it. Clicking that button prompts me for a password.

Sorry if my question are a little novice, like I said I have only been exposed to windows up to this point.
    Not to worry! People on this forum as well as the Linux / Free Software community are usually quite happy to help newcomers.

Any links to sites that have useful information for learning the Linux language would be greatly appreciated.
    Look at the resources that I posted at the start. You will be able to learn a lot by sticking around on this forum. In addition, there are a gazillion websites out there, that talk about all things Linux.

It's important to note that the software is "Free as in Freedom", and not "Free as in Free Beer"! Lots of amazing people have contributed to make this excellent software. You can start here to get an idea of the philosophy that drives all these people, and don't forget that Ubuntu is just one example of Free Software. There are many equally good efforts out there.

Beans

Thanks allot for the fast responses and warm welcome. Seeing a community of people willing to help others without any financial incentive is yet another extremely appealing aspect of Ubuntu.

I have family all over the country (Australia) that are currently useing XP, but it seams no matter how much effort you put into keeping anti-virus/spyware/malware/riskware software up to date, you always run into some problem. I would like to get them setup with Ubuntu, which is why I felt the need to ask a little more about the amount of involvement a user has to have with terminal, as the earlier generations of my family are not the most confident of computer users.

I have had a play around with vncviewer, and was able to connect to another pc on my local area network which was pretty cool. Is it as easy to connect to another computer that is not on the local area network, or do I have to have a VPN to do this. I think this would be the easist way to help out friends and family with their queries with Ubuntu once I become familiar with it myself.

One problem I am havein at the moment is my net is dropping in and out. I ran "sudo lshw -C network" and got the following report (when the net was working).

Code:
     *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
           vendor: RaLink
           physical id: 1
           bus info: pci@0000:05:01.0
           logical name: wmaster0
           version: 00
           serial: 00:14:85:cd:b3:b4
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt61pci ip=192.168.1.65 latency=64 module=rt61pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    I am just wondering what your opinion is of using the windows drivers with wrappers on Ubuntu, if it would be anymore stable. At the moment, the net starts up instantly which is ten times better then windows, and so far I have not needed to install any additional drivers to use my system which I found very impressive.

Thanks Again

Elbarto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Something I have found a little intimidating with Ubuntu is the amount of time spent in terminal. It seams everything is run from there, virus scans, samba configuration, etc. My question is, why is so much time spent in terminal and not in GUI's etc.

You don't have to use the terminal, most of these things can be done via the GUI as well, it's just that it's often easier with the command line.
    a simple example: sudo apt-get install amarok will install the amarok media player for you

You can install it via the GUI- Applications menu> Add/Remove Programs> Sound and Video> Amarok> Install.
    One command on the terminal does all that for you. It's also easier to give instructions to someone else(like here on the forums- Terminal> command(s) as opposed to X Menu> Y Submenu> Z Application> Step 1> Step 2, then go to etc...)

As for the Admin password and Root accounts, it's actually designed to provide an optimum between usability and security. Even if you're the only user on your computer, these steps make it more difficult(but not impossible) for malware and virii and other internet based threats to damage/take over your system. I would strongly advise against logging is as Root purely for security reasons.

You will be able to see Connection Information even without Root password if it is not in 'Manual Configuration' mode.

An excellent newbie friendly guide to Ubuntu can be found here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php
    It's the one I found most helpful when making the switch to Ubuntu.
    It ought to clear most doubts you have expressed in your post, and also has links to more resources. I recommend it highly to all new Ubuntu users(and I add it as a bookmark in Firefox in all Ubuntu Installations I do for friends and family).

Hope this was helpful.

All the best.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all,

1) I am use to XP, and hardly ever needed to use the command prompt for anything with the level of computing I do. Something I have found a little intimidating with Ubuntu is the amount of time spent in terminal. It seams everything is run from there, virus scans, samba configuration, etc. My question is, why is so much time spent in terminal and not in GUI's etc. The language used in terminal is quite foreign to me, and I don't think I could memorize 10 % of the commands I have seen posted that perform relatively simple functions.
    Well, that's mostly due to Linux being at its core a command-line operating system. The desktop managers that provide the windows, icons, menus, and other elements of the desktop environment are actually just programs that run on this text-based operating system. So while you actually can do a lot of things through the GUI, you're doing it one or two steps removed from the operating system. By using the command line, you're actually working with the operating system itself. Some see this as a flaw, but many change their mind once they realize how much Windows cripples users' ability to control the operating system.

However, graphical user interfaces on Linux have come a long, long way in the last few years. Most of what you do in Ubuntu will be (or at least can be) done using a GUI. But GUIs, by necessity and often by design, provide only a very simplified view of the systems they control. While you may be able to do something using a GUI, you can do more and better using the command line, simply because you have the power to access every option and feature of the software.

Also, the "language" used in the command line isn't really a "language". Commands are simply programs, and the options those programs require to perform their function. Some are so basic in function and purpose that they are considered part of the operating system, and these will eventually become familiar to you with repeated exposure and experience. Others, you will always have to look up before you use, just like everyone else does.

My final comment on this point is that Linux isn't Windows. You mentioned virus scans... You really don't have to worry about viruses in Linux. There are some ideas about computing you've developed from using Windows that simply don't apply to Linux, even though they both do the same basic thing. It's like the difference between driving a car and riding a motorcycle. Both will get you where you're going, but you shouldn't expect to steer a car by leaning into the curve any more than you should expect a motorcycle to keep you dry when it rains.

The quick answer is that except for the basic idea that some actions -- specifically those that involve more basic modifications to your system -- require escalated privileges (similar to how some actions on Windows require you to be using an Administrator account rather than a Limited account), you don't really need to know anything about Linux file permissions in order to start using the system. This is a bit of knowledge you will eventually need, but which also will come with time and experience. There are a lot of things you didn't know about Windows when you first started using Windows, but now take for granted. The same will be true of Linux.

If you need root privileges to perform some task on the desktop, you will be asked to enter your login password. If you aren't prompted for your password, you don't need root privileges. If you try to use a command in the terminal that requires root privileges, you will be given a message informing you of the fact.

Here are a few links you might find useful or interesting.
    • Linux is NOT Windows -- An very good article discussing some of the common difficulties Windows users have when moving to Linux, and the misconceptions which cause them.
    • Linux vs Windows (A Comparison) -- A very thorough article about the differences between Linux and Windows to help Windows users understand Linux
    • Linux Commands: A Practical Reference -- A quick reference to common commands
    • A World Without Walls or Fences -- A series of articles I posted to my blog introducing Linux from a very basic perspective, describing the differences between Linux, desktop managers, and distributions, and including a detailed instruction guide to installing Linux, with a focus on dual-boot systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post
    Well, that's mostly due to Linux being at its core a command-line operating system. The desktop managers that provide the windows, icons, menus, and other elements of the desktop environment are actually just programs that run on this text-based operating system. So while you actually can do a lot of things through the GUI, you're doing it one or two steps removed from the operating system. By using the command line, you're actually working with the operating system itself.
    Errr, no. That is completely wrong. The GUI is not running on top of the command line. What you are saying effectively means that when I drag and drop a file from one folder to another, the GUI is somehow running the "cp" command in bash with suitable arguments. Not so. The GUI is just as close to the system kernel as is the command line. Neither needs the other to run.

Beans

I recommend you to read the book Ubuntu Linux Toolbox, very useful. It will help you in your very first steps into the free software world.

I have a link to download the book in pdf format, but don't know if its possible to paste it here, can someone tell me please.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast