Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu vs Ubuntu+XFCE

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Xubuntu vs Ubuntu+XFCE

hello
    I have a question. Kind of off topic but a variation on a theme. So if ubuntu with XFCE is faster than Xubuntu, would the same hold true that ubuntu with KDE installed would be faster that kunbuntu?

thanks
    Robert

Beans

I have been on Arch for over 10 months, during that time I have used a variety of DE's & WM's, Openbox being my favourite WM: I started on Gnome, then quickly moved over to Openbox (which was comparatively very fast but it did take a bit of configuring) then changed to Xfce which I really liked.

Fiddled around with Xfce, which was incredibly easy to install & configure (probably the easiest I've ever experienced in 23 years) & made the perfect GUI for me using the xfce-panel.

Had a play with KDEmod 4.1, which didn't really work all that well at the time I tested it. Tried a few different window managers, but none of them appealed to me.

It took some time, due to my mental processes not being as fast as lightening & then all of a sudden one day it came to me - the ah-ha experience, & realised that I could use Openbox & the xfce-panel simultaneously, which would give me the Xfce GUI front end that I love, & the speed of Openbox.

So I did it & now my desktop looks identical to the Xfce one I had been using for some months, but now the desktop does EVERYTHING instantaneously!

I don't know how long it will take before this desktop experience gets superseded?

I'm experiencing that same old mental condition that says how could something ever be better than this? Of course something will be, which is nice to know.
    Last edited by handy; February 5th, 2009 at 12:56 AM.

Beans

I said to myself, I don't want mainstream and so I reached linux. Then I said it again and reached Xubuntu rather than the more popular Ubuntu and Kubuntu. This was with Dapper and I've stuck with Xubuntu, though I've tried Gnome and KDE through till 8.10. I run a monster Q600 quad so... I guess I can't expect too many probs in any case.
    But I do have gnome desktop installed as well, so maybe I can do some testing. Any suggestions which apps I should test?
    On my other comp which a (seriously) challenged PIII with 256 MB ram, Xubuntu just didn't cut it (8.04). Puppy was wonderful though.
    I must say Ubuntu minimal with xfce sounds exciting. Now I need to learn to do this. Here I go....
    Cheers.

Beans

I'm all about small & light too. I'm running on a Dell PIII with 512Mb very nicely (Xubuntu 7.10). Will eventually try the minimal install + XFCE, but am currently on 'Pure XFCE', as suggested by Pyschocats:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

I ran this command and got rid of a lot of crap:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove alacarte binfmt-support brltty brltty-x11 capplets-data cdrdao cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compiz-wrapper compizconfig-backend-gconf contact-lookup-applet dcraw deskbar-applet ekiga eog evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content f-spot fast-user-switch-applet firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support gconf-editor gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-schroedinger gstreamer0.10-tools gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse human-icon-theme human-theme hwtest hwtest-gtk libao2 libart2.0-cil libasound2-plugins libcanberra-gnome libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra0 libcompizconfig0 libdecoration0 libdeskbar-tracker libdirectfb-1.0-0 libebackend1.2-0 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-13 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libexempi3 libflickrnet2.1.5-cil libgconf2.0-cil libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdiplus libgif4 libglade2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil libglitz-glx1 libglitz1 libgmime-2.0-2a libgmime2.2-cil libgnome-keyring1.0-cil libgnome-pilot2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2.0-cil libgnomevfs2-bin libgpod-common libgpod3 libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libhyphen0 libicu38 liblpint-bonobo0 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo1.0-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib1.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds1.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n1.0-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data1.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono0 libmono1.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libmtp8 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libneon27 libopal-2.2 libpisock9 libpisync1 libpt-1.10.10 libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l2 libpulsecore5 libsamplerate0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsgutils1 libspeexdsp1 libsqlite0 libtracker-gtk0 libts-0.0-0 libwps-0.1-1 libx11-xcb1 mesa-utils metacity mono-common mono-gac mono-jit mono-runtime mousetweaks mtools nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-share openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer pkg-config pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 python-beagle python-gmenu python-gtksourceview2 python-uno rarian-compat rdesktop rhythmbox screen-resolution-extra sg3-utils sqlite sqlite3 syslinux tangerine-icon-theme tomboy tracker tracker-search-tool tracker-utils tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-gdm-themes ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers untex usb-creator usplash-theme-ubuntu vino whois wv xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Anyone know what the difference would be between starting from Xubuntu and running the above command, and doing a minimal install and applying components piece-by-piece? Linux being as it is, (i.e. properly modular) you should be able to get to the same end state by starting small & adding on, or by starting large & taking away - right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jozza The Wick View Post
    I'm all about small & light too. I'm running on a Dell PIII with 512Mb very nicely (Xubuntu 7.10). Will eventually try the minimal install + XFCE, but am currently on 'Pure XFCE', as suggested by Pyschocats:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

I ran this command and got rid of a lot of crap:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove alacarte binfmt-support brltty brltty-x11 capplets-data cdrdao cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compiz-wrapper compizconfig-backend-gconf contact-lookup-applet dcraw deskbar-applet ekiga eog evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content f-spot fast-user-switch-applet firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support gconf-editor gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-schroedinger gstreamer0.10-tools gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse human-icon-theme human-theme hwtest hwtest-gtk libao2 libart2.0-cil libasound2-plugins libcanberra-gnome libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra0 libcompizconfig0 libdecoration0 libdeskbar-tracker libdirectfb-1.0-0 libebackend1.2-0 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-13 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libexempi3 libflickrnet2.1.5-cil libgconf2.0-cil libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdiplus libgif4 libglade2.0-cil libglib2.0-cil libglitz-glx1 libglitz1 libgmime-2.0-2a libgmime2.2-cil libgnome-keyring1.0-cil libgnome-pilot2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2.0-cil libgnomevfs2-bin libgpod-common libgpod3 libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libhyphen0 libicu38 liblpint-bonobo0 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo1.0-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib1.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds1.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n1.0-cil libmono-i18n2.0-cil libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data1.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono0 libmono1.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libmtp8 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libneon27 libopal-2.2 libpisock9 libpisync1 libpt-1.10.10 libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l2 libpulsecore5 libsamplerate0 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsgutils1 libspeexdsp1 libsqlite0 libtracker-gtk0 libts-0.0-0 libwps-0.1-1 libx11-xcb1 mesa-utils metacity mono-common mono-gac mono-jit mono-runtime mousetweaks mtools nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-share openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer pkg-config pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 python-beagle python-gmenu python-gtksourceview2 python-uno rarian-compat rdesktop rhythmbox screen-resolution-extra sg3-utils sqlite sqlite3 syslinux tangerine-icon-theme tomboy tracker tracker-search-tool tracker-utils tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-gdm-themes ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers untex usb-creator usplash-theme-ubuntu vino whois wv xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Anyone know what the difference would be between starting from Xubuntu and running the above command, and doing a minimal install and applying components piece-by-piece? Linux being as it is, (i.e. properly modular) you should be able to get to the same end state by starting small & adding on, or by starting large & taking away - right?
    Running the Psychocats command from Xubuntu will give you... Xubuntu (because the last step is 'install xubuntu-desktop'). It is designed to remove all Gnome packages if you have previously installed ubuntu-desktop.

Minimal-install plus Xfce would be lighter still.

On a different tangent, I've been experimenting with the Xfce version of Sidux. It is a very cool distro if you're looking for fast, Debian-based, "bleeding edge" Xfce. Haven't used it long enough to officially endorse it, but my first impressions are good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One thing annoys me about Xfce... It uses GTK+ as default desktop, and that makes it slow as fast as you start installing software. In Arch KDE 4.2.0 uses 250mb RAM, Xfce uses 320mb RAM, GNOME uses 350mb RAM, Openbox uses 63mb RAM.

On my computer of some reason, KDE uses less then RAM then Xfce.

NOTE: All mesurements done after a clean install using htop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    One thing annoys me about Xfce... It uses GTK+ as default desktop, and that makes it slow as fast as you start installing software. In Arch KDE 4.2.0 uses 250mb RAM, Xfce uses 320mb RAM, GNOME uses 350mb RAM, Openbox uses 63mb RAM.

On my computer of some reason, KDE uses less then RAM then Xfce.

NOTE: All mesurements done after a clean install using htop
    Hi gjoellee, I am curious, what would you propose as a "lightweight" alternative to GTK+ for an Xfce system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    ...In Arch ...Openbox uses 63mb RAM....
    DAMMNIT!!!!

For me, Crunchbang 8.04(Openbox) uses 66mb RAM after a clean install.

Beans

It's kind of useless to compare how much ram a distro uses on your computer vs. a different distro on someone else's computer.

For example, I have identical installs of Crunchbang on two different computers. On boot, it uses 160mb on the computer with 1.5g of ram, and 61mb on the computer with 256mb of ram. Guess which one is faster?

My point is, unless you have identical hardware with someone and are running exactly the same services, it is not a useful comparison.

Plus there seems to be a myth that "if distro A uses 100mb and distro B uses 90mb, then distro B must be faster." I have never seen any proof of this theory.
    Last edited by snowpine; February 5th, 2009 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Hi gjoellee, I am curious, what would you propose as a "lightweight" alternative to GTK+ for an Xfce system?
    Example: Enlightment, Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox, IceWM

Anyway, I was just pointing out that GTK+ does make Xfce heavier, but it is still quite light. I did the "lightweight" measurements with how much RAM the different desktops used.
    Last edited by gjoellee; February 5th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast