Thread: Help! getting Nvidia card working in 1920x1200

Beans

Angry Help! getting Nvidia card working in 1920x1200

Hi guys, after 4 days wrestling with this problem and getting quite close to fixing it on several occasions, I am 24hrs away from crawling back to Windows...this is not fun anymore!

My first problem was getting my monitor in 1920x1200. Fixed that after some forum help. However, my real problem is that if I have 1920 as my resoltion, I notice that the hardware drivers are no longer enabled for my graphics card. Enabling them only reinstalls the Nvidia 'new' driver which screws my system and reduces me down to 640x resoltion. Installing through Envy works slightly better and gives me the resoltion I want, but again, without letting me turn on visual effects............

My setup is:
    P4 3Ghz, Nvidia PCX 5750, 1Gb RAM, Benq G2400W Monitor

I am constantly going in circles between installing my drivers through Envy (resolution ok but no visual effects) or via Hardware Drivers (crap resolution, visual effects OK).

Read a lot of forum threads to no avail and over the last few days I have also tried installing manually from the command line with the latest driver from Nvidia website, but still to no avail.

Yesterday I did a fresh reinstall and now i'm back to square one.

Bleh. Help! Before I do something drastic!

Thanks in advance,
    Tomston.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help! getting Nvidia card working in 1920x1200

I'm at a loss to deal with this one, but I'm sure there's someone out there who can figure this out...

\hint

\bump

maybe?

We certainly don't want you to have to return to winblowz!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help! getting Nvidia card working in 1920x1200

Edit:
    nevermind probably wont help.

Best thing to do when choosing to go Linux is be sure your hardware is well supported, really kills the experience when you don't have fully supported hardware.
    Last edited by d0b33; September 12th, 2008 at 11:42 PM.