Thread: ufw default policy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

ufw default policy

I've been using firestarter for a number of years and on the whole I've been quite happy with it. However, I've recently started using a pptp vpn and I couldn't get firestarter to work with it, despite using the workarounds on the firestarter web page. So I switched to guarddog and this works Ok with the vpn. However, as neither firestarter or guarddog seem to be actively developed at the moment I thought I'd also look at uwf and the guwf gui.

Anyway, after reading the various web and man pages for ufw I'm unclear about the default policy when set to deny. My understanding is that initially ufw allows all incoming and outgoing connections, until the default policy is changed to deny. But once set to deny does this just apply to incoming connections and leave all outgoing connections enabled (as firestarter does) or is everything disabled in both directions until rules are added?

Beans

Re: ufw default policy

It only applies to incoming connections.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: ufw default policy

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherte View Post
    It only applies to incoming connections.

Excellent, that makes things a whole lot easier than opening ports for everything you need. many thanks.