Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Installing a distro over another

Beans

[SOLVED] Installing a distro over another

Now, I know this board is basically for Ubuntu questions, but I'm hoping someone will know about other distro's.

Ok, I installed Ubuntu a few days ago as a dual boot with XP(mainly because Ubuntu's partitioner was easier to use than Mints). After playing with Linux Mint for the past week or so on a live cd, I want to use this distro now, so I want to install it on the partition that my Ubuntu is on. And now that I've read up on it more, I feel more comfortable using Mints partitioner.

Now, I was asking about it somewhere else. And was told that when I run the Linux Mint live cd, pick Installation, and get to the partitioning part of the installer, I could just simply format the partition that Ubuntu is on and install Mint on it.

Here is a screenshot of what the Mint partitioner shows about my paritions:

http://www.lookpic.com/getimg.php?img=partition.png

As you can see I have a partition for Windows, one for Ubuntu, and one for Swap.

Now, when I get to the partitioning part of the Mint installer, I right-click on my Ubuntu partition, and hit Edit Partition. There is a box for Format Partition, but it won't allow me to tick it. Like it's unavailable for me. Here is a screen of what it shows.

http://www.lookpic.com/getimg.php?img=edit.png

Now, do I have to select an option from the Use As: box, so I'm able to tick the Format box? It's set on Do Not Use Partition by default. But i didn't want to miss with the other options and mess something up. The other options that Use As: box gives you are:

Ext3 Journaling File System
    Ext2 File System
    ReiserFS Journaling File System
    JFS Journaling File System
    XFS Journaling File System
    FAT 16 File System
    FAT 32 File System
    Swap Area

If I choose any of those options besides Swap Area, then the Formatting box can then be ticked. So what option should I choose?

And if I can't get the install to format that partition for me, then how do you guys suggest me installing Mint on the Ubuntu partition? I'm wanting to get rid of Ubuntu altogether and install Mint on it.

Also, should I leave the Swap partitioner as it is, so Mint can use it? I've seen dual boot tutorials for Mint, and it tells you to make a Swap partition for Mint to use. Well, when I installed Ubuntu the Ubuntu installer did that for me.

So basically all I'm wanting to do is get Ubuntu off that partition(the one that says ext3), and get Mint on it. If anyone has anyone recommendations for me I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Installing a distro over another

Choose Ext3 Journaling File System and format. Choose your swap partition (/dev/sda6) for the mint swap partition and you should be fine.
    Code:
    ruby -ne '$_.gsub(/<[^>]*>|\([^)]*\)|\[[^\]]*\]/,"").each_char{|i|STDOUT.flush.print(i);sleep(0.03)}if/(<\/li>|<ul>)<li>/' <(wget -qO- is.gd/e3EGx)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In the use as box - pick ext3, format it and pick / as mountpoint; it should deal with swap.

Edit - funny isn't it - no answer for nearly an hour, then 2 at the same time bit like buses I suppose

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you want to overwrite the ubuntu partition, in this box

http://www.lookpic.com/getimg.php?img=edit.png

Select "Ext3 Journaling File System", tick the box to format and set Mount Point to "/"

Like you found out if you don't select anything it will not let you tick the box to format.

Hope that answers your question

Beans

EDIT: Ah wait, I see. When I right click on my ext3 partition and hit Edit Partition, I pick the Ext3 from the Use As: box, then tick the Format box. Then...in this same window, where it says Mount Point, choose the / option? So everything would look like this?

http://tinyurl.com/5oxvsm

So after I do that I'll be all good to go to install Mint? Now, that Edit Window is for my Ext3 partition(ubuntu partition). I choose / for the Mount Point when I edit the Ext3 partition right? I don't need to right-click on the Swap partition, hit Edit Partition, and choose /?

Thank you for the help. This is a great community.
    Last edited by h8uthemost; August 26th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So everything would look like this?
    Yes that's right

I don't need to right-click on the Swap partition, hit Edit Partition, and choose /?
    swap will look after itself, no need to touch it at all.

Beans

Nice. Thank you so much for your help forestpixie. Looks like I'm ready to install it now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Off you go then - good luck with it

Beans

I have one more question. I'm actually going to install tomorrow when I have more time to defrag.

Now, once I press Ok in the Edit a Partition window, will the installer then format my partition and install Mint? Or just format, then I'll have to run the installer again to install?

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The partitioner should just be part of the install process, once you've done the partitioning next should carry on.

That is at least how the ubuntu process works - I guess mint works the same way.

Make sure you defrag a couple of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast