Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchpad cursor jumps around

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Touchpad cursor jumps around

I have the same problem on an Inspiron 1525, and I know why, but struggling to do anything about it.

There are 2 reasons why the touchpad jumps around, it's because circular scrolling is enabled in touchpad preferences (the GUI isn't actually installed with Ubuntu), and because it thinks there's another mouse attached.

I used to run Suse 11.0, and to get the touchpad working, you had to disable the apparition of another mouse in the sax2 module. In my xorg.conf [Ubuntu] (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf), it can see another mouse, while I don't have one. In Suse, you went through Yast/Sax2 to remove it. I can't find the equivalent in ubuntu.

There was also an option of Touchpad settings, which you adjust, and turn off circular scrolling (which makes it jump all over the place). You can install "Touchpad" from Add/Remove Programs, but it won't initialise, giving the error message:
    GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
    You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics

I added the line
    Option "SHMConfig" "true"

but it still comes up with the same error message. I'm investigating the XF86Config at the mo.

Any ideas?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Touchpad cursor jumps around

On my tx2000z laptop the cursor jumps, even before the synaptic touchpad being configured. And whenever I enable the touchpad (pushing its button) the ubuntu help center window comes up.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have the same problem, but unchecking and disabling the touchpad and using an external mouse which I prefer anyway seems to do the trick.

I have a windows Vista partition and do not have the problem on the rare occasions that I use Vista.

I will watch this post for anyone who has a more pernanent solution that works.

Beans

I have contacted my laptop customer service and they say this may be caused by the remaining flea power charge trapped inside the circuits. And by removing all the peripherals and AC adapter and the battery then pressing and holding the power button it will be removed.

But that did not help for me. You can also try that.

Beans

ok i have the same problem. as i move my finger across the trackpad the cursor just jumps all over the screen and left and right clicks everywhere leaving new folders all across my desktop and just generally making a mess. also i am running karmic from a USB flash drive and this problem has ocurred on 3 different laptops using my flash drive so its not hardware and definitly not me accidently touchin the pad. thing is, this happened a couple times and a reboot fixed it but its now happening every boot and i am still pretty new to linux in general. so how about it? any old hands wanna help a noob?

gonna try the flea charge theory but i cant see that being the problem in 3 different machines

Beans

I had the same problem with my Aspire8530 under Windows7 and Ubuntu10.10.

I was able to solve the issue with Windows7 by decreasing the touch-pad (mouse) sensitivity, but not with Ubuntu and so I opened a bug request here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...cs/+bug/646860

Claudio

Beans

Smile Re: Touchpad cursor jumps around

Hi again,

I have upgraded to 10.04 lucid a few days ago. The touchpad has been installed OTB and the problem seems to be resolved here. Any other confirmations?

Cheers.

P.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pooyaplus View Post
    Hi again,

I have upgraded to 10.04 lucid a few days ago. The touchpad has been installed OTB and the problem seems to be resolved here. Any other confirmations?

Cheers.

P.
    Well I'm having this problem crop up on me as well and I've got Ubuntu updated fully and made sure my driver where up to date and browsed this whole thread and other threads but I seam to not be able to get rid of this problem. It doesn't crop up endless I'm watching a video (in full screen), using Mupen (in full screen) or/and have the net book shut but not off.

Idk what to do I'm lost....
    I'm using a HP Compaq tc4400
    Specs:
    CPU Duel core 1.83Ghz each
    Ram 2.5 GB DDR2
    Ubuntu Vr. 11.4 (natty)
    Kernel Linux 2.6.38-8-generic
    Flash 10.3.181.34
    Blue Tooth compatible

CompizConfig Settings:
    Composite
    OpenGL
    Zoom Desktop
    Desktop Cube
    Expo
    Rotate Cube
    Ubuntu Unity Plugin
    Window Decoration
    Wobbbly Windows
    PNG
    Mouse position polling
    Regex Matching
    Move Window
    Resize Window
    Unity MT Grab Handles

Well that's all the useful info i can think of that might relate to this problem so lets be good little Linux monkeys and solve this problem.

P.S.
    Thank You
    for any and all support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trwww View Post
    Check to see if your power supply matches the problem power supply in the following thread:

http://dellcommunity.com/supportforu...269361#M269361

I had the same problem and a new power supply fixed me right up.
    This is absolutely right. Many thanks.

Try this - unplug the power supply from the laptop while keeping a finger on the touchpad. While the cursor would be quivering and/or jumping away when the power is plugged in, it stabilizes and becomes usable when the power is plugged out.

Thanks again and I'll get Dell to replace about power adapaters for about 6 laptops that I bought for my company

Here's a link to a Dell response to a customer query - http://en.community.dell.com/support....aspx#19474971

Cheers,
    Swastik.

Beans

2012, and I still have this problem. Today I had an epiphany: if I take my finger, and sweep it all round the touchpad as if I were polishing the thing, the problem goes away. For a while. Apparently my problem is some sort of static buildup, not software or hardware.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast