Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchpad cursor jumps around

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Touchpad cursor jumps around

Hi,

When using the touchpad on my Vostro 1500 with Hardy, my cursor will regularly jump around the screen. Frequently if I continue moving my finger, the cursor will jump right back to where it should be, sometimes it will continue along in its new random location. I feel like this has gotten worse in the last week.

I have tried disabling the horizontal and vertical scrolling. I have played with the sensitivity and acceleration to no effect. And I have been very careful where the rest of my hands are as I use the touchpad. Even with no other part of my hand near the touchpad aside from my finger, this will still happen.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem with the Linux driver? Or could it be a hardware malfunction? Or is it probably me? I don't have my Windows partition working right now for testing because I blew it messing around with the Media Direct functionality. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Karmic on Dell Vostro 1500 - Mythbuntu Lucid-upgrade may cause heartburn, ECS 671T-M, Pentium E6500 Dual Core, 2gb, Seagate 320gb SATA, Samsung SATA DVD, ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 512mb, PVR-150 MCE, HVR-1250, Seasonic S12II-330, Lian-Li PC-V300B

Beans

Re: Touchpad cursor jumps around

Have you tried UNchecking "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad"?

As for the dysfunctioning Vista partition, which boot manager were you using - Grub in the MBR, or Vista's boot manager with the standard MS MBR?

*TimDaniels*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, I have 'Enable mouse clicks with touchpad' DISabled. I have never been able to use that feature well with Windows or Ubuntu.

I have XP (bought it just before June 30.) I use GRUB. I accidentally messed up the XP partition while trying to set up the Media Direct button to boot straight to XP and have the power button boot straight to Ubuntu.
    Karmic on Dell Vostro 1500 - Mythbuntu Lucid-upgrade may cause heartburn, ECS 671T-M, Pentium E6500 Dual Core, 2gb, Seagate 320gb SATA, Samsung SATA DVD, ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 512mb, PVR-150 MCE, HVR-1250, Seasonic S12II-330, Lian-Li PC-V300B

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mine does that because I inadvertently have a lazy finger or thumb accidentally touching the pad when I shouldn't. Drives me crazier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

At first I thought that might be the cause, so I tried placing one finger on the touchpad, and holding the rest of my digits and palm up as high as I could, and the other hand away from the keyboard. It still happened.

Beans

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem and it's not related to any physical cause.

I also have tried a number of different settings and just when I think something works, the behaviour returns.

I just wanted to let you guys know that this problem is real and it's not caused by any rational phenomenon. I suspected it was everything from the tap to click to the sensitivity to static electricity to aliens.

The moment I lift my finger from the touchpad, the cursor jumps back to where it was when I started. It has nothing to do with extra fingers. At this point I'm just a few different solutions shy of wearing a tin foil hat.

My touchpad is on a sharp laptop, and although it's recognized as a synaptics, I suspect it's a cheap knockoff.

In any case, I'd love to be included in the event of any solution to this issue.

Regards,

Kessaris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: XP is working again...

Under XP, I do not notice this problem of the cursor jumping around while using the trackpad. Though even in XP, this is not the smoothest trackpad I have used. But the trackpad is still jumping around in Ubuntu. Apparently this is not a hardware problem, and is a Linux trackpad driver problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: XP is working again...

It may sound crazy, but whenever i use my touchpad on my dell xps m1530 it sometimes does the same, but just occasionally.
    THe thing is, if you look in the bottom right corner in the taskbar it shows your touchpad as an image (at least my drviers do).
    Whenever this occurs and i take my finger from the touchpad the image says that the touchpad is being pressed somewhere. So if i move my finger over the spot the image says where its pressed it dissapears and my touchpad works again.

+1 for weardiness

(edit: the above was a conclusion i made when using Windows Vista. the problem appeared also under XP, Mac OSX and Linux. So the problem is not OS bound in my part. The only thing was that i could see where i needed to press. in other os' i needed to press all the parts once, and then it would disappear.
    Last edited by BryanMarley; September 8th, 2008 at 06:40 AM.

Beans

Check to see if your power supply matches the problem power supply in the following thread:

http://dellcommunity.com/supportforu...269361#M269361

I had the same problem and a new power supply fixed me right up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: Touchpad cursor jumps around

Quote Originally Posted by trwww View Post
    Check to see if your power supply matches the problem power supply in the following thread:
    I have a rev A00 power supply and I hadn't made the connection, because I have 3 different power supplies all different revisions. But I am 99% sure you are right and it has only happened on the A00 power supply. I'll press Dell to replace it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast