Thread: sudoers configuration for nice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sudoers configuration for nice

Hi Folks,

I'm running a game system that uses a java engine. It is running on a newly installed Hardy Herron server, 64 bit. The normal command works to start the game engine, however, I want to get it to run with a higher priority, so I put "sudo nice -n -2" in front of it.

However, I keep getting asked for my password, and no matter how I enter the line in sudoers, I can't get it to stop.

The line is ...

michelle ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/nice

I've also tried other versions like...
    michelle ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/nice
    michelle ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/nice
    ... as well as defining my user name as a variable, but I'm just not going anywhere.

Also if I include the nice but omit the sudo and run it as root, it also works, so I'm concluding that my sudoers is going wrong somewhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Michelle.
    Last edited by msknight; August 23rd, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.
    Rimmer-Broadcast on all frequencies and all known languages, including Welsh.

Beans

Re: sudoers configuration for nice

Even though running the nice command with sudo in front works, it's probably not a good idea since it will also run the game engine as root, which can be dangerous. So instead of messing with sudoers, I think what you really want to do is grant yourself the privilege to "nice" a process without using sudo. You can do that by opening up:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf
    And add the following line at the end:
    Code:
    <username>   -  nice   -20
    Replace <username> with your username. You'll need to either reboot or log out and log back in. Then you can run your game engine with just:
    Code:
    nice -n -2 <game engine>

Beans

I think you want something like
    Code:
    michelle ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: nice -n -2 <game engeine>

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

On the first command I get, Gtk-Warning **:Cannot open display:

This is a server version, and I usually telnet in to it. Do I have to have the X server installed and do this from the machine itself please?
    Kochanski-This is the first time I've ever been seduced by predeterminism theory.
    Kryten-Starbug was built to last sir. This old baby's crashed more times than a ZX81.

Beans
    Distro

Gamma, didn't work. Parse error in sudoers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msknight View Post
    Hi,

On the first command I get, Gtk-Warning **:Cannot open display:

This is a server version, and I usually telnet in to it. Do I have to have the X server installed and do this from the machine itself please?
    Do you mean you got that from running:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf
    If you are telnetting into the machine then the above command won't work, since it tries to open "gedit", which is a GUI text editor. Instead, try using nano:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/security/limits.conf

Beans
    Distro

Thanks - I think that worked. The process shows as -2 in the process table.