Thread: Need a Live CD with Plugins, codecs, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Need a Live CD with Plugins, codecs, etc.

I need to download a live cd that's "internet ready". It should have most of the recent updates already applied. I need safe and secure browsing with pop-ups blocked, flash installed, java installed, video and audio codecs installed and I need to be able to read .PDF's. You know, one you can actually use to browse the internet!

Is there such a thing available? I'd happily pay for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Need a Live CD with Plugins, codecs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieNeedsHelp View Post
    I need to download a live cd that's "internet ready". It should have most of the recent updates already applied. I need safe and secure browsing with pop-ups blocked, flash installed, java installed, video and audio codecs installed and I need to be able to read .PDF's. You know, one you can actually use to browse the internet!

http://custom.nimblex.net/
    The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners.

Beans

my first live cd was i think 7.10 and i could surf the internet on the live cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieNeedsHelp View Post

Most Live cds are pretty functional. However if you want a custom live cd with all the bells and whistles you can always "roll your own." I used this tutorial as a start and built a very useful live cd based on Debian Etch. Though its a bit of an exercise the tutorial is pretty good and you can use it to build a nice rescue cd, or a live cd setup with all of your favorite apps ready to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the tips. In order to use the tutorial, I'd have to install Ubuntu on my hard drive first. You guys are both talking about marriage, and I'm just looking for a casual date!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ooobuntooo View Post
    Thats pretty cool, never heard of it before.

@NewbieNeedsHelp: http://custom.nimblex.net is a live cd so you don't need to marry it with your hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The most complete LiveCD you can use (I believe) is the Knoppix 5.1 DVD. It has more than you will ever need in any live session, including the kitchen sink..
    Bob

Beans

Linux mint might also be of service here:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/

Linux mint is based on ubuntu but has a lot of things installed by default (like flash and junk)
    The internet thing might be a questionable though, depending on how you connect.
    If you have a wireless connection Mint has a graphic frontend to ndiswrapper that is up to date and functional.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED