Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GUI Fan Club – for a Terminal-free Ubuntu experience ! (Only if you want it…)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GUI Fan Club – for a Terminal-free Ubuntu experience ! (Only if you want it…)

I am surprised nobody had any suggestions for the "missing" GUI items I listed, nor asked for any new ones:
    Missing GUI items - What would I like to find GUI tools/methods/tips for?

a. MD5 checksum generation & checking.
    Like the simple md5.exe I have added in XP.

b. More obvious rapid scrolling in Synaptic Package Manager (& others).
    Without needing to know/remember to click on some odd folder first.

c. Real-time Wi-Fi signal strength indicator/meter
    Why do I have to optimise my aerial position in XP (with signal strength gauge) instead of in Ubuntu?

d. Setting-up & fault-finding in Networking & Wi-Fi
    I suppose that is a big one – I am not holding my breath!
    Nobody?
    Visit Ubuntu GUI Fan Club . . . . Visit Disconnected Jottings from Alsace
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Dual boot W8.1 / 14.04.1 Unity: Canon iP4300: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 12.04.4LTS Unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: GUI Fan Club – for a Terminal-free Ubuntu experience ! (Only if you want it…)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeztastic View Post
    This is all so true. The number of times I have struggled with the command line or editing .conf files, only to find that I could have just point and clicked in a few steps to sort it out.

I believe that there should be a Canonical policy that any official documentation or advice/support given in ubuntu should be provided side by side gui and command line, for the user to choose.

If possible, the user should be given the choice which they would prefer, and if there is doubt, the gui method should be given by default. Otherwise, Linux operating systems will just never take off.
    No doubt you could get that if you wanted to burn some money on paid support. The Vast majority of us on the forums help you because we enjoy it. Not because we want to spend hours typing up detailed "Now click the second yellow button to the right. Then select the dropdown labeled "123"" Complete with Screenshots. If you can read, you can understand the CLI. If your a normal human being, You can learn. Thus, you can learn CLI. Nothing is perfect. No OS is going to be ready outta the box for every single person on the world.

Some people need things others wouldn't. Some need more help, Some need none. I generally think Ubuntu currently has about the best blend possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bios Element View Post
    No doubt you could get that if you wanted to burn some money on paid support. The Vast majority of us on the forums help you because we enjoy it. Not because we want to spend hours typing up detailed "Now click the second yellow button to the right. Then select the dropdown labeled "123"" Complete with Screenshots. If you can read, you can understand the CLI. If your a normal human being, You can learn. Thus, you can learn CLI. Nothing is perfect. No OS is going to be ready outta the box for every single person on the world.

Some people need things others wouldn't. Some need more help, Some need none. I generally think Ubuntu currently has about the best blend possible.
    I appreciate the support I receive here, I really do. And I appreciate why, sometimes, CLI is a convenient and effective way of giving support. For example 'Post the output of lspci'. Or 'apt-get install xyz'. However, for complicated driver setups, system config etc, editing .conf files no way. For example, a common reply for a request about driver setup might involve detailed instructions on adding sources, downloading, extracting, making, installing, running files from inside directories, enabling and disabling lines inside conf files... I would utterly contest that this is easier for anyone than instructions like 'download this package from synaptic, then download that application to configure it'. I have struggled to set up my PCs in this way numerous times, often buggered it up, re-installed, or given up. Then later found a nice little application which does it all through the gui, which would have made it oh so simple.
    Media Server: Intel Atom D410PT fileserver running Ubuntu Server 10.04 with occasional light desktop duties.
    Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A210 running Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks very much itssaurav2004!

Maybe I'm an even bigger dummy than I thought, but I had never heard of nautilus scripts.

I checked your link & Googled a bit more to find the following which offer very comprehensive lists of nautilus scripts:

Are these the best/easiest/safest sites for dummies?

I am sure I am going to get a lot of mileage out of this new (for me) idea!

Hope it helps others too!

Thanks again!
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Dual boot W8.1 / 14.04.1 Unity: Canon iP4300: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 12.04.4LTS Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks again itssaurav2004!

I installed just "Make md5" without the other "Top 10" to see if/how it works.

It was easy & it works OK.

For info: this is what I did (please correct if necessary!).

1. Go to http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/index.php
    2. > File Processing > Make md5 (opens text file)
    3. Select all & copy.
    4. Ubuntu > Places > Home > View > Show hidden files > .gnome2 > nautilus-scripts
    5. Right-click > Create document > Empty file > Open new file > Paste (copies text file).
    6. Rename new file > Make md5

To use: Right click on Target file > scripts > Make md5 > Voila!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One for dual-booters:

If you got addicted to middle-click copy/pasting (post #1 - item 6.) then frustrated because Windows wont...

Add DragKing v1.3 which allows Windows to catch up with Linux on this point!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Bios Element View Post
    Vast majority on the forums help you because we enjoy it. Not because we want to spend hours typing up detailed "Now click the second yellow button to the right. Then select the dropdown labeled "123"" Complete with Screenshots. If you can read, you can understand the CLI. If your a normal human being, You can learn. Thus, you can learn CLI. Nothing is perfect. No OS is going to be ready outta the box for every single person on the world.

Not to mention the fact that when "Kicking Klingon" 9.04 or "Lying Llama" 9.10 comes out, it will change to the "third red button"

Seriously, the CLI changes MUCH less than the GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes I know that is true but, as I said in post #1:
    Oh & finally, PLEASE do not use this thread to try to convince me that I should learn to love Terminal because it is great & fast & efficient & smart & powerful &…
    I know all that, as I said at the beginning.
    By all means, start your own thread on that subject if you want to!
    & in post #14:
    If somebody would like to start a philosphical thread on this subject, I would be delighted to join in.
    Please post a link here!

But I would like this thread to stick to its original purpose of providing a repository of helpful tips & tricks for people who want or need to have their Ubuntu as a GUI experience.
    So I will not be responding to any further similar posts.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV67 View Post
    PLEASE do not use this thread to try to convince me that I should learn to love Terminal because it is great & fast & efficient & smart & powerful &…
    Thanks!
    Well, I for one am not trying to convince you...

if you don't want to use the terminal, don't use it...
    (but you don't have to 'love it' to 'use it')

the CLI has its place, and the GUI has its place

Thing is, many times the CLI is the easiest way to GIVE help.
    Although I've noticed an increase in 'Synaptic' advice versus 'aptitude'.

It's All About Linux!
    It's All About Choice!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast