Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] What happens if...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: What happens if...

If you use Synaptic most of the time and mix in with aptitude you should be ok if you run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    as stated above to make sure you don't have useless package dependencies floating around!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    ...it is almost impossible to remember how I installed every app.
    While I love the command line, and use 'apt-get', I do a lot of experimenting using Synaptic because it has a HISTORY feature, showing what you installed/removed and when. File-->History.

Very handy for undoing a mess later without trying to remember what I did. It takes more screen space at times, and it's slower than just typing it, but it saves time in the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    While I love the command line, and use 'apt-get', I do a lot of experimenting using Synaptic because it has a HISTORY feature, showing what you installed/removed and when. File-->History.

Very handy for undoing a mess later without trying to remember what I did. It takes more screen space at times, and it's slower than just typing it, but it saves time in the end.
    Very nice tip. I was wandering if Ubuntu has this feature, mainly because I would like to create an install command for all software I have installed after the OS, in case I need to re-format my system drive.

Can I install all apps again with a single command? I yes, which command would be better to use? Does the history display installed dependencies?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Open up Synaptic and click on the File menu. Choose the one called Save Markings As... Give it a name and make sure it is in your home folder (after you reinstall, it will still be there!). Check the Save full state box and it will save a list of what is installed and what isn't. This is used for installing the same packages on multiple machines, but it will server your purpose as well. I have used this in the past when reinstalling and it works great.
    - Silverglade00

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by silverglade00 View Post
    Open up Synaptic and click on the File menu. Choose the one called Save Markings As... Give it a name and make sure it is in your home folder (after you reinstall, it will still be there!). Check the Save full state box and it will save a list of what is installed and what isn't. This is used for installing the same packages on multiple machines, but it will server your purpose as well. I have used this in the past when reinstalling and it works great.
    OMG. Why I was still using Windows after so many years?

This is freaking beautiful. Thank you very much.

I will test it on a virtualbox.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12