Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does mythbuntu work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How does mythbuntu work?

If you're familiar with the likes of a Tivo or other Digital Video Recorder, then you'll understand the main thrust of MythTV. But MythTV is much more than that. Some things I'm aware of that it can do is host a music collection, stream Internet "radio", store photos, archive DVDs, and probably more that I'm not aware of. Best of all, it's built on the Internet's Free OS, Linux. While the software is free for you to install and use, the tradeoff is that you'll invest some time learning and understanding MythTV (if you're new to a UNIX type system, then some learning may be necessary for it as well) and spend hours tinkering and learning.

For SDTV (from an S-Video or composite connector on a set top box), a relatively modest system can serve quite well. I built my system from a second hand Thinkcentre off of ebay, a new PVR-150, used Soundblaster Live! card, new Western Digital 1TiB drive and a new DVD+R/RW drive. The drives just about doubled my "investment". I would have gone with an AMD system I already had but learned that the PVR-150 has DMA issues with the Via chipset, so I went with Intel.

Sure, I spent more than just going with a DirecTV provided DVR, but this is way more fun and capable.

BTW, the Schedules Direct subscription is modest at $20/year and provides MythTV with a "TV Guide" that is used to schedule recordings in a much more capable manner than that used by the typical VCR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is what I get when I do "lspci""
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801AA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA USB Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801AA SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12)
    01:09.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX (rev 10)
    01:0a.0 Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 02)
    01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
    I think it's the integrated graphics/video card. But do you guys think it will still work as a substitute TiVo?
    acrousey: Ubuntu user since 2008.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unless you plan to use a VGA to S-Video or composite video like an Averkey product, or you have a TV that takes VGA input, you'll want some sort of TV video output. I am now using the integrated i865G graphics on my Thinkcentre with an Averkey iMicro and the result is better that with the FX5200 I had tried. My TV wouldn't work with S-Video output using one of those adapter cables so I had gone the Averkey route using the card's VGA output.

I'd say it's worth a try and will probably work if you can watch a DVD full screen on it.

If there is a downside to the Averkey it is that the units I tried both seem to gradiate the color and I see interesting shading of hues. It's most pronounced on flesh (faces and such) and turf and pavement that normally have subtle shading which the Averkey tends to pixelize into larger blocks.
    Last edited by Nate B.; August 26th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: More info on Averkey.
    Mythbuntu rocks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Maybe I'll try to turn this computer into it. My room mate said he'd "pitch in for the cause". What kind of hardware should I be looking into? A TV tuner? Would I want to get a video card to watch the shows on TV? And would this new hardware require me to get a new power source (the current one is 115V)?

Again sorry for all the questions. I'm just scared that my comp might not be able to handle all this.
    acrousey: Ubuntu user since 2008.

Compaq Presario 5127SR, Pentium 3 Processor, 512MB RAM, 40GB + 750GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics Card, Original OS: Windows ME, Current OS: Ubuntu 8.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12