Thread: Public key error

Beans

Public key error

newbie trying to install some packages. When I do an update I get this error:

W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

Does anyone know how to correct this? Running 8.04 new installation.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Public key error

Quote Originally Posted by vegas588 View Post
    newbie trying to install some packages. When I do an update I get this error:

W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

Does anyone know how to correct this? Running 8.04 new installation.

Thanks.
    Hi and welcome, if you added the medibuntu repo to your sources list then you can add the key look here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Beans

I am not so sure that worked.

W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    medibuntu-keyring
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 3448B of archives.
    After this operation, 49.2kB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    medibuntu-keyring
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    E: Some packages could not be authenticated
    jamesc@hpubuntu:~$

Beans

Make sure that in software sources you have hardy-proposed & hardy-backports enabled then try again

*edit*

have you entered this in the terminal?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by Si-Ddevil; August 22nd, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Si-Ddevil View Post
    Make sure that in software sources you have hardy-proposed & hardy-backports enabled then try again

*edit*

have you entered this in the terminal?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

What does Hardy proposed and backports have to do with anything? I'd only recommend the backports repo anyway.

vegas588, take a look at my how-to and see if part 1 helps at all. Saying that, the command to add the Medibuntu repo and key should be the same as in the link overdrank gave you.

Beans

That worked! I used the comprehensive multimedia page before and entered the same commands. I am thinking there was some kind of network trouble that kept it from working.

Thanks to all of you. I will continue with the rest of the recommended steps. there are so many media players available, which one is "the least trouble" for playing back standard dvd movies? vlc or mplayer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by vegas588 View Post
    That worked! I used the comprehensive multimedia page before and entered the same commands. I am thinking there was some kind of network trouble that kept it from working.

Thanks to all of you. I will continue with the rest of the recommended steps. there are so many media players available, which one is "the least trouble" for playing back standard dvd movies? vlc or mplayer?

I recommend Totem and GNOME MPlayer for desktop videos, Gecko Media Player for streaming audio/video within a web browser, VLC for DVD playback, and either Rhythmbox, Exaile or Songbird (see part 5 of my howto) for desktop audio playback. You should certainly test out the latter, despite the fact it's pre-release, cos' it's just so promising and fun to use. Songbird uses the same engine as Firefox, namely Gecko, and you can even browse the web within it and search for music to listen to. I recommend the Pure White feather, or skin.