Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Midori Web Browser

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Midori Web Browser

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Stemp - I appreciate it!

Edit: I just realize that I have the Webkit team PPA enabled, but I think I'm still on WebKit 1.0. How do I check what version of WebKit I have installed?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Stemp - I appreciate it!

Edit: I just realize that I have the Webkit team PPA enabled, but I think I'm still on WebKit 1.0. How do I check what version of WebKit I have installed?
    install package libwebkit-1.0-2
    Sorry for my English - Home Page - PPA Webkit - PPA Midori - PPA Liferea - Personal PPA
    «Violence never settles anything.» - Genghis Khan, 1162-1227

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Got it, thank you!
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi again,

So I wanted to try this again, since apparently the flash problem has been fixed. I removed and purged the midori and webkit I had, since they were builds, included this new PPA (I already had the webkit one), and installed them again.They installed fine (Midori 0.1.5-0 and libwebkit 1.0-2). Unfortunately I can't start Midori because it complains about needing libwebkit 1.0.so.1, which isn't there anymore. I tried purging it again and reinstalling to no avail. Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: I fixed it, it seems there was another Midori executable under /usr/local/bin, which I had to delete). The flash problem is indeed solved. I'll be using Midori from now on, since my machine is pretty old. Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT2: OK, after a day of use I can safely say that it is pretty stable and it doesn't run, it flies. Good job and congratulations, in a short while the browser went from being usuable basically for testing purposes to being a viable and strong option for default browsing.

EDIT3: Yet another day of use and no problems whatsoever. I wanted to congratulate the developers for the wonderful download dialog. The Download Statusbar is actually one of the first things I get for Firefox whenever I install it. There needs to be a way to delete the stuff from the bar without actually opening it, though.
    Last edited by Praxicoide; April 6th, 2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: solved problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I added feature request for "scrolling speed" option in Midori. If you need it too, please confirm...

http://www.twotoasts.de/bugs/index.p...ls&task_id=347

Beans

Bumping this thread because I just discovered midori and I love it. I don't really notice the speed (FF is quick enough for me I suppose..), but it feels snappier. Most importantly it has full functionality - plugins, flash etc all work.

Could use with an autoscroll option, perfect for the laptop and touchpad scrolling, not so much for the desktop and mousewheel.

Beans
    Distro

The Midori in the Jaunty repos is 0.12, which crashes all the time. In order to enjoy the very stable 0.16 under jaunty you have to add the webkit and midori ppas in the sources list.

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    # WebKit
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webkit-team/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

#Midori
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/midori/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    Then type the following commands into a terminal:

Code:
    gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2D9A3C5B && gpg --export -a 2D9A3C5B | sudo apt-key add -
    gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv A69241F1 && gpg --export -a A69241F1 | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall midori
    And you're done.
    Last edited by Praxicoide; April 27th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Beans

Thanks, I was looking for adding repos for a newer midori on Jaunty. But the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade is a really bad idea don't you think? When Karmic gets alpha-released your system would switch to that, wouldn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise delete that line from your post.

Beans
    Distro

It wouldn't unless you change your repos. What could happen, though, is that other packages being held back could be installed. I'll change that line.

Beans

does it make any sense that midori would run faster without hal running?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast