Thread: Building Bare Bones for Cousin. Which MOBO ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Building Bare Bones for Cousin. Which MOBO ?

Both barebone systems are done by MSI, one being on the AMD side, and the other being Intel. I'm likely going to dual boot with Win XP/SP1. (better to be safe for his sake) Here are the contenders:

The AMD which is dollars cheaper, but supports less memory and has slower LAN

The Intel with 4 gig max memory and 1000 Mbps LAN. Also has 4x SATAII

If the Intel board is known to work well with Ubuntu, I'll go for that one hands down, but I have no idea right now, so I'd appreciate any insight into this one. Thanks !

Doug

Beans

Re: Building Bare Bones for Cousin. Which MOBO ?

I'd say go with Intel

The AMD board has a PCIex 16x slot, but it's working at 8x only! If your cousin does a bit of gaming, you get half the power of your graphic card. It's a no go

By the way, Intel CPUs runs much cooler than AMDs these days.
    Considering this case, I'm betting there is not a lot of fan options in it (usually they put placeholders for 80mm fans, not 120mm, means louder too).

As for Ubuntu hardware compatibility, Intel is the way to go.

As for the network, it is handy to have a 1000Mb NIC (ex.: network backups). But unless your cousin get his internet on a 2Gb fiberoptics backbone, which I doubt , it dosen't make any difference.

As I said before, go for Intel for an astronomous extra of 10$! LOL
    Last edited by astroboy78; August 22nd, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Building Bare Bones for Cousin. Which MOBO ?

Thanks. He doesn't game at all. This is just going to be an all round general purpose PC for him to fart around on. Nothing special. He listens to music, watches videos and surfs the net. I don't even think he'll be doing anything for work on it, so it's going to be very basic.

I just built myself a nice AMD machine and love it, no problems whatsoever. Runs nice and cool too. I'd personally favor AMD due to their cooperation with the open source community, but if there are known stable Intel boards and such that I can work with, I'll play. I just want to make sure that it's going to work before I order the parts.

Doug