Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Get A List Of Manually-Installed Software (i.e., Not Default) - Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Arrow Trying To Get A List Of Manually-Installed Software (i.e., Not Default) - Help

I used the help from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366 to try and get a list of installed software. However, nothing came up. At all. I tried sudo and no luck. And I know I've installed JRE and twitux. So, can anyone help me, please?

Thanks!
    BA, Jewish Studies and Political Science; B.Sc., Chemistry - University of Washington - in progress
    Ubuntu Registered User 23646 | Linux Registered User 565253

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Trying To Get A List Of Manually-Installed Software (i.e., Not Default) - Help

Quote Originally Posted by iaskedalice09 View Post
    I used the help from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366 to try and get a list of installed software. However, nothing came up. At all. I tried sudo and no luck. And I know I've installed JRE and twitux. So, can anyone help me, please?

Thanks!
    which command doesn't work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Trying To Get A List Of Manually-Installed Software (i.e., Not Default) - Help

Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > installed-software
    This works - but not as you want.

It creates a list of all installed applications as a text file in ~/installed-software

Beans
    Distro

First one doesn't work for me. And, I typed cd ~/installed-software/ and cd /installed-software/ and it says it doesn't exist.

And if it doesn't have a list of just user-installed software, how can I get one?

Thanks for your help!
    BA, Jewish Studies and Political Science; B.Sc., Chemistry - University of Washington - in progress

Beans
    Distro

I missed that it's a text file, so that's resolved and it works. Now, how to I get a manual installed software list?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you didn't install the software using the repositories there is no way to list installed software, unless you still have the source directories for everything you installed manually.

Jim

Beans
    Distro

All of them were in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your timing is very good - I just looked for guidance yesterday and found this thread to be very useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920

This may answer your question as well.

Beans

For installed packages:
    1) Synaptic keeps a record of manually-installed/removed packages under File-->History...if you did it using Synaptic (a very good reason to use it).
    2) 'dpkg --get-selections > installed-software' gives you the list of installed packages without the date info.

For compiled packages and other customizations:
    The admin is responsible for documenting special actions - er, that means you. The system has no means of remembering the admin's follies...unless you program it to. For example, by using 'checkinstall'.

I keep a diary in RSS format; it's easy, fast, portable, searchable, and updatable from any text editor. Just a quick paragraph at the end of each day or each project. It saves a lot of work trying to remember what hack I did to one of my machines a year ago. The searchability comes in handy for answering forum questions, too.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; August 23rd, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, so I'm going to go with the orig. fix, but when I type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --select-software < installed software
    And press ENTER, all goes well. Then I type

Code:
    sudo dpkg dselect
    And I get an error:
    Code:
    dpkg: need an action option
    I tried: dpkg -i dselect, dpkg i dselect, dpkg dselect install, all with and without sudo and I got the same error. What's wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast