Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other OS's's's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Other OS's's's

You're welcome

Just keep in mind that they are not Ubuntu, so you will have to learn how to do things differently.

PegMonster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've tried GoblinX and Wolvix, both were pretty awesome.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

SLAX is total win. Install it and slapt-get, then sync with the 12.1 repos.

Wolvix looked nice, but never booted for me. Vector is solid. Zenwalk has had a few rough spots lately, but is still a great distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    SLAX is total win. Install it and slapt-get, then sync with the 12.1 repos.

Wolvix looked nice, but never booted for me. Vector is solid. Zenwalk has had a few rough spots lately, but is still a great distro.
    I'm downloading it now, and burning the iso image to a CD for installation.

Before I do that though, how do i synch with the 12.1 repos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I can't help you with that one, but I would install slapt-get (and gslapt if you want a gui front end, similar to synaptic) and read the manuals.

Gslapt should have some drop down menus with help files, I would think.

It may even give you a selction of mirrors to chose from, like synaptic does.
    I'm only guessing though.

You might as well have a crack at it, I don't think you will break your system, as long as you follow the instructions.

PegMonster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mhurst1 View Post
    Debian Stable is virtual bug free, but you might have to configure some things to work properly.
    amen. stable as a rock, but not the latest and greatest. and more configuring involved. a second mention goes to mandriva one. great kde based distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adobrakic View Post
    I'm downloading it now, and burning the iso image to a CD for installation.

Before I do that though, how do i synch with the 12.1 repos?
    Install the slapt-get and gnupg packages manually. Then type "slapt-get -u" and, when it's done, "slapt-get -i *package*" and "slapt-get --upgrade" to upgrade packages.

As far as installing SLAX, follow the instructions quoted below (from the SLAX forums):

Hmmm my fault, the Slax installer isn't in Slax6, I put it back into mine version. I've uploaded it here :

http://backtrack.serveftp.com/backtr...6-install.kmdr

Its a kmdr script, so download it to where you want, say /usr/share/slax/, then run it using the following :

Code:
    /usr/bin/kmdr-executor /usr/share/slax/slax6-install.kmdr
    Ignore the portion on the "live" version install, use the "real" version install.
    NOTE: Make absolutely certain that you wipe and create a new partition for SLAX, because the installer won't do that for you (it'll happily install inside another distro, mixing the two and making a mess). Cfdisk is included on the CD.

Technically, Slackware is better for installation (it's actually made to install, while SLAX is designed as a live CD). However, going the SLAX route requires far less downloading and jump-starts you with a fully functional system right off the bat. It provides a genuine Slackware system with a bit less work. Just remember that it was designed as a live CD first, installed OS second.
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; August 22nd, 2008 at 04:46 AM.

Beans

Is there another OS you guys would recommended? I'm sick of dealing with bugs on ubuntu every time I log in. Okay, well not EVERY time, but it's still a nuisance.

Perhaps downloading the previous version of Ubuntu may be better, since it's been out for a long time.

Any ideas?
    Yeah I have the same problem. Debian Etch is extremely stable and reliable though. However, Lenny should be coming out in a few weeks so maybe you should wait for that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I like Ubuntu, it's just it has a lot of little bugs that **** me off. I like the repository, gui, memory usage, etc. Just the little things really bother me.
    In the meantime before you switch, what exactly are the little bugs?

Beans

- My firefox randomly closes on pages with flash on it
    - streaming videos is extremely slow / lags in full-screen
    - keyboard doesn't always get recognized and i have to restart the computer so i can even use it
    - can't get surround sound to work (although i doubt i'm going to get it to work with any other distro)
    - firefox also sometimes closes when i try to make streaming videos full-screen

and basically i get a bug that i have to workout like once a week. i mean, i get it fixed and everything, but it's just annoying. also, i'm sure there's some that I forgot that will come up sooner or later

for example yesterday i couldn't download/install/uninstall anything because of some file that messed something up while i was uninstalling kde, there was a bug report on it and a fix available, luckily. and then last week everytime I tried playing something in XMMS, it said that the device was already being used and that i should choose a different output plugin or something. i was annoyed so i just clicked a bunch of stuff and fixed it, even though i dont really want it to be like that.. but i'm not as savvy with linux as i am with windows so i can't tell what the problem was.
    Last edited by adobrakic; August 23rd, 2008 at 06:24 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast