Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R rated movies for the 1970's

Beans

R rated movies for the 1970's

I was really bored this morning and so I watched "Alien: Director's Cut", I remember my mom saying how gruesome and terrible it was when my dad and uncle went to see it in 1977.

I thought it was pretty bad, not as in horrific, but as in bad acting, bad plot, no suspense, and overall it probably would have been rated PG-13 today (if it wasn't for the language).

I actually found myself sitting back laughing at the horrible special effects and the "Alien" just sitting in the corner flailing it's arms instead of popping out and ripping them to shreds, because of the animatronics they had back then instead of CGI.

That scene where Ash (the robot) attacked Ripley and they were bashing him with the fire extinguisher, I was cracking up.

I think people must have been pretty soft back then.

Beans

Re: R rated movies for the 1970's

Alien is not an action movie, so if you were expecting blood and gore, that is not what you were going to get

Also, you should look up "suspension of disbelief".

The Matrix was thought to be good, yet has the horrible flaw of violating essential laws of science, namely, the second law of thermodynamics (their way of getting energy would work at all, which was the entire basis for the movie) yet you don't see people mocking it do you?
    Last edited by LaRoza; August 21st, 2008 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

Huh?
    Alien is a classic
    Better then all this CGI crap of today.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Alien is not an action movie, so if you were expecting blood and gore, that is not what you were going to get
    Aliens (sequel) was probably the only time I ever really got into the Alien movies, they were packing some firepower, and the aliens actually did stuff, I believe the movie also alludes to the futility of the Vietnam War, in that their platoon is organized about how US army tactics around that time called for.

Alien Vs. Predator has made for some good video games, but only passable movies.

Overall though, the Alien is not well geared for survival, eventually it will kill all it's hosts and then be unable to propagate further.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    I thought it was pretty bad, not as in horrific, but as in bad acting, bad plot, no suspense, and overall it probably would have been rated PG-13 today (if it wasn't for the language).
    PG-13 didn't exist back then. So your choices are PG or R, which is it?

Beans

Not all 70's horrors have bad effects, though. Just the ones that tried to go in over their heads.

Amityville Horror (1979), for example, has very reasonable effects. Sure, the sound could have used a gentler touch (you can hear static in the background as the words "Get out" are magnified far too much), but the visuals are very reasonable. In fact, I found it more enjoyable and scarier than the 2005 remake.

Beans

Well Alien and Aliens support two different mindsets.
    The original alien was more to the classic era of horror, and almost has a Hitchcock tone to it... Keeping the creature in the shadows and not in your face all the time, Hitchcock knows about this stuff quite well... by keeping the monster hidden you build suspense.

Aliens was more for the action movie lover, even though just as good as the original in my mind it had a more direct approach to the genre.

Read up on Hitchcock though, its not about the explosion... its the anticipation of it
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Yes, I like Hitchcock from what I've seen, it's been a long time though and most of it was sanitized with 1960's(?) television in mind, I think it was called "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and he would have a couple of short stories.

I also saw Psycho III I believe, but thats been a few years too.

I really need to watch some of this stuff.

Beans

I read you should watch the theatrical cut, because it keeps the alien hidden for the most part. I've only seen the original so I don't know how dodgy the re-added scenes are.
    AMD Athlon II X3 455 | 4 GB | GF 210

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    Yes, I like Hitchcock from what I've seen, it's been a long time though and most of it was sanitized with 1960's(?) television in mind, I think it was called "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and he would have a couple of short stories.

I also saw Psycho III I believe, but thats been a few years too.

I really need to watch some of this stuff.
    Psycho III was a sequel to a Hichcock film, not a real one...
    See the original if you can stand black and white.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast