View Poll Results: what programme do you prefer?

Voters
1168. You may not vote on this poll
  • PIXEL

123 10.53%
  • GIMP

605 51.80%
  • other i.e. ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, none linux thou

440 37.67%
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A true photoshop alternative....No not GIMP!! "PIXEL" actually

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

A true photoshop alternative....No not GIMP!! "PIXEL" actually

hello all,

I came across a programme the other day, and as i cant use GIMP, as it just stresses me out just trying to do simple things, i know my GIMP comments will prompt a reaction from people, but i just wont to say in my defence, i tried many many times to use it but the usr interface and interaction is not user-friendly, click here and there then click here and here then once again...

anyhow, sorry about the bitching, am just a bit stressed these days.

anyway, Check out this programme

PIXEL
    #### This is a TRAIL version, and not FREEWARE/opensource ####
    #### Test it if you wish, it is still in development ######

it's still in development but i cant wait for it to be finished,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abs; January 20th, 2006 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling ;)

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: A true photoshop alternative....No not GIMP!! "PIXEL" actually

Downloaded and installed it, it's trying to sell itself to me. I detest shareware. Looks OK, but why would I spend $32 on beta software, or $100 for v1.0, when I can get PaintshopPro for $60. What's so hard about the GIMP? I find it easier to use than paintshop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Arrow Re: A true photoshop alternative....No not GIMP!! "PIXEL" actually

Quote Originally Posted by Wally68
    Downloaded and installed it, it's trying to sell itself to me. I detest shareware. Looks OK, but why would I spend $32 on beta software, or $100 for v1.0, when I can get PaintshopPro for $60. What's so hard about the GIMP? I find it easier to use than paintshop.
    to be honest, i have always found Paintshop to suck!!

and also, i am talking about it working on linux, am not sure if paintshop works on ubuntu, if does i still pay for Pixel over it.

Beans

how pathetic.*sorry i just felt that
    you can't use gimp which is complete and free and has a strong kind user base.
    but you recommend a non-opensource non-free program that is not complete, that does not have a great user base or documentation. wow you are amazing.

why don't you try gimp a little. did you just spend 5 mins on it a decide its not a photoshop clone so its not good.

also i am not sure if that thumbnail should be on ubuntu forums.
    i like many other read this from school, office and libraries and we sure as hell don't want even a hint a that stuff (do you see the extent of skin showing on that girl) on our screen. could not have taken a screen shot of something better.

*well here ends my ranting that accumulated while reading your post

Beans

I would recommend reading Grokking the GIMP if you have troubles using GIMP. I found that my troubles with the GIMP was me not understanding how the program worked. I can accomplish anything my co-workers can do with their editors but we take different paths to get there. I read an article that talked about the different image programs and the general conclusion was people like what they are used to...especially with a complicated program like the GIMP or Photoshop.

That said I prefer to support free software, but I have no problem buying software if I need to. What bugs me is when commercial software tries to make you pay a ton. This program walks the line as they do want quite a bit of money although not a ridiculous amount. I would prefer to not pay over $50.00 for any one given program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cool Re: A true photoshop alternative....No not GIMP!! "PIXEL" actually

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi
    how pathetic.*sorry i just felt that
    you can't use gimp which is complete and free and has a strong kind user base.
    but you recommend a non-opensource non-free program that is not complete, that does not have a great user base or documentation. wow you are amazing.

why don't you try gimp a little. did you just spend 5 mins on it a decide its not a photoshop clone so its not good.

also i am not sure if that thumbnail should be on ubuntu forums.
    i like many other read this from school, office and libraries and we sure as hell don't want even a hint a that stuff (do you see the extent of skin showing on that girl) on our screen. could not have taken a screen shot of something better.

*well here ends my ranting that accumulated while reading your post
    My oh my,

have I struck a cord with your nerves or something, i think your over reacting, I am not recommending it, nor saying people should go and buy it, I just wonted people to check it out, If you love Gimp then good for you, I love my ubuntu and OpenSource as a whole, but i don't like gimp or shall i say its not my thing, FREEDOME of Choice, I am all for opensource. and think the whol comunity is great,

All I did was give my view on it, I do apploigies if it seemed like i am recommending you go out and buy it, I just said " I ".

##Iv just changed the screenshots so you dont get all emotional again, god knows what you might end up doing with a bit of skin showing

If the OpenSource community has alternatives to commercial products then great, but if not then someone is gona fill in the gab. easy as.

Thanks "jeffjj" for a good post and not an emotional one.
    Last edited by abs; November 13th, 2005 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

please change the second screen shot as well. i wanna look at the interface but i can't since the hot naked (well 99% naked anyways )chick keeps getting in the way.
    do you think i can open that in school

##Iv just changed the screenshots so you dont get all emotional again, god knows what you might end up doing with a bit of skin showing
    the freaking point is not what you can do with a skin but how badly it reflects on you if that image opens in the library or in school or at work.
    also don't even talk about what someone might do with a bit of skin since clearly you weren't DOING anything modifying a girls picture *wink wink
    Last edited by kakashi; November 13th, 2005 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

While I won't be buying Pixel, and I do like the GIMP as a whole, the fact that the GIMP completely takes over my taskbar has always annoyed me. I like the single window interface of Pixel, and would like to play with it, but I'm a poor college student, and I just don't want to pay for it or have to pay for it in the future.

P.S.-If anybody knows of a way to get the GIMP to be contained all in one window, please let me know. I will be forever grateful

Beans
    Hidden!

try gimpshop. the interface is set up almost exactly like photoshop. here's a review of it in PC magazine - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000530

download - http://www.gimpshop.net/
    Last edited by fuscia; November 13th, 2005 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks! It doesn't come in deb, so I'm running alien on it right now...I'm excited

Update: Well, my excitement is crushed. The alien installed fine, and when I booted up GIMP, it gave me the gimpshop splash...I was pumped. And then...it looked just like the regular GIMP...and I couldn't find an option to change the interface. Oh well, I'll just live with it.
    Last edited by endersshadow; November 13th, 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast