Thread: [SOLVED] Slow "Shut Down" Button Response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] Slow "Shut Down" Button Response

I stay on top of the updates for Ubuntu, so I installed 8.04 as soon as it was available. It's awesome. However, in the past couple months as I've started applying new GTK2 themes including customizing the logo next to the Applications menu in Gnome I've noticed an incredible annoying problem. Sometimes (about half the time) when I click the "shut down" button in the upper right hand of the screen to shut down my computer it literally takes 1.5-3 minutes for the window to pop up offering me the various options. AND it's missing "Hibernate" as an option.

After I click the "shut down" button I can't do anything else - I can move the mouse around, but clicking doesn't do anything. It's like Gnome is locked up or something.

Any idea what in the world is causing this and what I can do to fix it? All the themes I've applied have come from gnome-looks.org or using the gnome-art package from the repositories.
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Re: Slow "Shut Down" Button Response

Do you have similar problems when doing:

sudo reboot

or

sudo shutdown

?

Beans

It sounds like you may be suffering from Bug #150846 Quit button freezes screen but does not present Log out etc. options dialog. this is the solution that I posted on my blog back in April and seems to fix things for people.

• Use System > Preferences > Sessions to make sure the Power Manager is set to run automatically every time you start Ubuntu.
    • Use the System Manager to ensure that gnome-power-manager is running, and if it isn’t use Alt-F2 to get a Run dialog and run gnome-power-manager from there. (You can also run it from a Terminal.) This step is only needed during the session that you perform the first step.
    • Attempt to Quit using either the Quit tool on your panel or by using System > Quit. You should get the Logout/Restart/Shutdown dialog.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro

Titan8990 - I'll check as soon as I'm back at the computer.
    DJ_Peng - I'll give that a try to. Thanks.
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro

It seems to have worked! Thanks for your help!

Beans

Glad I could help.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.