Thread: Remote Desktop Access

Beans

Remote Desktop Access

I'm not sure if this is the right Forum for this question, but here goes.

At the place I work, they use a medical program called EMIS. I am moving away to go to University soon, and my boss told me that if there are any minor jobs that need doing, I can do them by using LogMeIn. However, as far as I know that is Windows/ Mac only, and you have to pay for it.

Is there any way of getting a similar program, so that it can log into a machine, and display it in a virtual window, so that I can work on that?

I've heard of VNC, but I'm unsure of how to set it up.

Any help would be great.
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Remote Desktop Access

Give a try to NoMachine, http://www.nomachine.com

Beans

Re: Remote Desktop Access

Set the Windows machine at work to allow Remote Desktop (You need Win XP Pro or a Server version). Configure the company router to forward port 3389/tcp to the desktop machine. Then run rdesktop on your Linux machine and connect to the IP address of the company router, which will forward to the desktop.

Alternatively, if you cannot change the company router settings, use a reverse VNC 'Helpdesk' system like Bozteck one click VNC:
    http://www.bozteck.com/vncscan/downloads.html

With this solution the connection is made from the 'inside out' which allows it to get through a NAT firewall.

Cheers,

Herman