Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Statistics - PSPP 0.6.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Statistics - PSPP 0.6.0

The Hardy repos have pspp 0.4.x in them, but 0.6.0 is out and it's really really incredible. If you have experience using SPSS, you will feel very much at home. It's not done yet (0.6 < 1.0) but it is much more capable and useful than the version in the hardy repos. The GUI (psppire) does have some limitations, but it's much better than any R-CRAN front-end I've ever seen. In time this program will become _the_ tool to point new Linux users to when they need a statistics tool that comes with a GUI.

As an added bonus some of you will be pleased to learn that the FSF have worked very hard to reproduce the delightful fortranesque world that is SPSS syntax. If you have to work with SPSS syntax or .sav files, this program is worth checking out. If you are already a wizard with R-CRAN, and don't need to share files / code with SPSS users, you are better off ignoring this post. Because of the brilliant structure R adopted for letting people write custom code/modules, R-CRAN has more functions and features than either PSPP or SPSS base. But, PSPP has a lot to offer people who need compatibility with SPSS or want a GUI. I'm sure that PSPP will (slowly) close the gap with R in the future.

http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/

The installation directions directions are pretty good but I had to install the ruby packages for most of the dependencies in order to get it to compile. So, if you just go through the dependencies and make sure you have the -dev and -ruby stuff, it works as advertised.

Conversely, I could send you the .deb file that I have but I feel obligated to tell you that it was created via checkinstall and it does not do dependency checking for you. I just wrote it to make it easier to remove / upgrade with Intrepid comes out. If you want it, PM me, and I'll send it to you.

For all you emacs fans out there (I am slowly becoming one myself) the program comes with a very useful mode called pspp-mode that will make a very nice addition to your collection of modes. If someone who actually knows LISP could look at this and tell me how hard it would be to fold this mode into ESS, I would love to learn more about that.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Statistics - PSPP 0.6.0

0.6 is in intrepid It looks so much better than the previous version!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, it's definitely in Intrepid, but I wanted to play with it today, and it only takes a few minutes to compile (once you get done figuring out how to make it compile).

You can actually do useful stuff with PSPP now . . . but I don't much care for the name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Right, so I am confused here I need to get this installed. It's for a class. I checked (via synaptic) and I have all of the dependencies installed (or their replacements?) and I try to `./configure' and I get some error

configure: WARNING: The following optional prerequisites are not installed.
    You may wish to install them to obtain additional functionality:
    libxml2
    libreadline (which may itself require libncurses or libtermcap)
    configure: error: The following required prerequisites are not installed.
    You must install them before PSPP can be built:
    libplot (or use --without-libplot)
    gtk+ 2.0 v2.12 or later (or use --without-gui)
    libglade 2.0 v2.6.0 or later (or use --without-gui)
    so, I do not understand how to get beyond this point. How did you get it to recognize that you had these packages installed?
    I am running hardy, all updates.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin 1775
    Michigan LoCo Team: #ubuntu-michigan on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you do want to compile it then you need the packages that have a "-dev" on the end too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The .deb package from http://packages.debian.org/lenny/pspp can be installed in Ubuntu 8.04 so just use that instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thank you!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin 1775

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hmm it seems everything works fine but I get this appearing in the terminal:
    ** (psppire:9910): CRITICAL **: Gtk+ version too old (micro mismatch)

The debian page says libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), and Ubuntu has 2.12.9-3ubuntu2, so I don't think there should be any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have had problems using compiled binaries from Debian in Ubuntu. The basic system is the same, but you do get into version problems and other hang ups. I agree with the above post, if you are going to compile you will need the -dev packages that accompany EACH dependency for pspp. Without the -dev packages (not installed unless you do it manually) the compile will fail.

If I can get an email address, I can send you the binary that I compiled.

--andy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I get the same error about gtk, I sent a message to you, gunksta, with my email for the deb, but I am going to try to compile it one more time (with all of the -dev file versions of the dependencies) before I use your failsafe. I dislike brick walls, and prefer to go over them, but I will slam thru with your .deb if required.
    Ben Franklin 1775

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast