Thread: Server

Beans

Server

I am using Xubuntu 8.04 on 386. I want to know how to setup and use as a server. Also when I go to MY SQL, which one do I download ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Server

Ummm... a more descriptive title wouuld get you better responses. Also, I think we need a bit more information such as what kind of server and what do you want it to do?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I agree, you need to tell us what you would like to accomplish by setting up this server? Either way, the Ubuntu server guide is a good place to start...

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Beans

I am trying to set up a home server. There will be at he most 3 maybe more computers storing file and using a printer server if possibel.
    This is a IBM 700MHZ Pent 4 intel, 128 mb ram and 20 gig HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK, we're getting it out of you s l o w l y.....

What kind of PCs will be accesing the data? Are they ******* boxes, or Linux boxes or Macs?

You can set up a print server using CUPS and you will want your printer connected to your Linuc box unless it has a network card or network capability.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you download the server version (at least on Ubuntu), you can set up a LAMP server in addition to SAMBA, SSH, and a few others. Pick the options you want and the installer builds a server for you. Be forewarned that the server version comes out-of-the-box without a desktop. It also defaults to DHCP (if installer finds a server), but that can be fixed later.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net