Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Hard shutdown with no warning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hard shutdown with no warning

Is your CPU overclocked?
    Did you smell something like melted plastic?
    If you turn your board on, does it still turn on?

I think this is a case of overheated CPU.

Try this setup after you've cooldown your PC:

1. 1GB Memory
    2. Ubuntu HD
    3. Mouse
    4. Keyboard
    5. Monitor

Remove everything else. Clean your PC case.
    If it turns on, go to BIOS, reset everything.

I also notice that you only have a TV tuner? No vidcard? Are you using the onboard VGA?
    Whenever posting a question, don't forget to place tags on them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aimpau View Post
    Is your CPU overclocked?
    Did you smell something like melted plastic?
    If you turn your board on, does it still turn on?

I think this is a case of overheated CPU.

Try this setup after you've cooldown your PC:

1. 1GB Memory
    2. Ubuntu HD
    3. Mouse
    4. Keyboard
    5. Monitor

Remove everything else. Clean your PC case.
    If it turns on, go to BIOS, reset everything.

I also notice that you only have a TV tuner? No vidcard? Are you using the onboard VGA?
    I had actually underclocked my cpu before it finally gave out, and the last temperature I saw (maybe 30 secs before the final shutdown) was 36 degrees, which makes me think it is not a simple burnout of the cpu.

However, when I took the cpu out the thermal paste was like cement. I tried to pull the heatsink off but ended up ripping my cpu out of its socket. I really dont think it should be like that since the paste has only been there for about 7 months.

I tried turning the computer on with only a motherboard and PSU, all it did was make the fans twitch for a second, and then shut off, and after that the power button does nothing until I pull out the power plug for a few seconds. If I put the CPU back in I get the same results. If I put everything else in I also get the same results.

I suspect that if the motherboard does not detect a cpu it would shut down, so perhaps that is why I get the same result with and without the cpu installed?

I have cleaned out every speck of dust that I could and have stuck every part back in except the cpu.

As for the graphics, I am using the inbuilt ati Radeon x1250 graphics on my motherboard. I got a Nvidia 9600GT a few weeks ago but that died and the shop refuses to fix it until I replace the chipped fan. But for most of my purposes the X1250 has been fine.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had the same problem on one of my PC's and a BIOS reset was enough. You can try it!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasiauvi View Post
    I had the same problem on one of my PC's and a BIOS reset was enough. You can try it!!
    I have. CMOS has been reset thereby resetting the bios as well. Still nothing...
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

I had this problem with the wifes computer. It turned out to be nothing more than a fried PSU.

Before going through the expense of buying new cpu etc, I would go to your local dealer, get a new psu and try it. If it still fails then at best you can return said psu or at worst you have a new psu for you next machine. Not incredibly helpful I know, but in my experience, 9/10 its the psu thats failing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I did a few tests today, just on the power supply however. First I plugged my power supply into another computer, and that worked. Then I plugged the power supply from that computer into mine and mine turned on. Then I put my PSU back into my computer and almost everything worked. Admittedly I hadn't actually tried to turn the computer on today, so I can't say if it was something I did or just time passing that fixed it.

Only problem is that when I first turned my computer it gave me and error message about usb using dangerous voltage (or something like that any way), and gave me 20 seconds before it shut down. I changed the setting in the bios to turn off EHCI(? USB 2.0) and then it does turn on, however with no USB 2.0 or usb on the front panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    The fan that is on the heatsink is controlled by the motherboard, with the speed lowered when the temperature is low, and is sped up when the cpu gets hotter. The speed hasn't notably sped up so I assume the temperature being reported by the cpu is well within limits.
    Just a thought... Back when I ran windows, one of the TSR programs in windows was used to control the fan speeds. When I switched to Ubuntu, I was experiencing some issues similar to this, and it turns out the program would increase/decrease speeds in windows, but would default to the "low" setting without the TSR program. Something you could research about?
    Thumper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thumper13 View Post
    Just a thought... Back when I ran windows, one of the TSR programs in windows was used to control the fan speeds. When I switched to Ubuntu, I was experiencing some issues similar to this, and it turns out the program would increase/decrease speeds in windows, but would default to the "low" setting without the TSR program. Something you could research about?
    Quite possibly. But the temperature doesn't seem to be a problem, even the lowest setting seems to keep the temperature at an acceptable level.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any updates?

Have you cleaned your RAM? Use a rubber eraser for cleaning the contacts.

Sometimes, the error isn't that obvious at first. I haven't replied to you yesterday because my PC won't boot up. It was stuck on the opening screen even before it loaded GRUB. My HD busy LED was alight all the time. The problem? Floppy disk drive. I don't know why but it's the cause of the error, so I just removed it.

I doubt it's your PSU since if it's broken, you couldn't have turned your PC on. I'm more leaning to your RAM, CPU or any other PCI cards that you may have,

Can you get a screenshot of your motherboard?
    Whenever posting a question, don't forget to place tags on them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, I will try to get a screenshot tonight. The good thing is, the problem still hasn't happened since the major breakdown. The only thing I can think of was that I replaced the thermal paste.

I have to agree with you on the power supply, my tests showed pretty conclusively that it still worked.
    But as for the ram, I ran memtest for a few hours and it didn't kill my computer, so I think that rules out bad RAM. That pretty much leaves the cpu and the motherboard. I am leaning a bit towards the motherboard, because when I turned my computer back on, it gave me an error about high usb voltage, even though there were no usb devices plugged in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast