Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would like help installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 server on new system

Beans

Re: Would like help installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 server on new system

The file posted was generated once I had booted using acpi=off. It's when I don't use that boot parameter that I get the kernel panic crash. I may be asking a naive question here, but since Ubuntu has crashed at that point and I am forced to reboot, how can I obtain the output of dmesg for the crash case?

Thanks,

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK Paul I read your post again and I need to ask, you are not even able to get the installer to start? So this is just when you are booting from the CD and are trying to install but the installer never starts?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Yes. Without using acpi=off, I cannot even get past the first stage of the installation. To be clear, here's how it works in detail:

When starting a fresh install from the CD, the CD launches and I get to the start page, from where I can choose one of several options, such as perform a memory test. At that stage, if I just select the install ubuntu option, accepting the default boot settings, I get a kernel loading bar. As soon as it has reached 100% I get the screen of death with the trace and kernel panic output and the installation proceeds no further. A reboot is required.

If I select acpi=off while at the welcome screen however, the installation runs smoothly up until the point I have to reboot my computer. When the computer boots it does so with the default boot parameters and so crashes out immediately before the stage at which I would have the opportunity to log in with the same error as it did at the start of the installation. To rescue the situation, I have to reboot, hit Escape while grub is loading and manually edit the boot parameters to include the acpi=off.

Doing this allows me to log in normally. Once logged in I can edit the boot/grub/menu.lst file as you described, including the acpi=off command permanently, thus allowing me to boot normally. Removing the acpi=off means that the computer crashes when it reboots.

Beans

UPDATE: Re: Would like help installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 server on new system

I discovered that this is a bug that has been known since September 2006 and has been fixed in many previous releases of the kernel. However, it wasn't marked as requiring fixing for version 2.6.24 and so I have now done so:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun....24/+bug/63134

Thanks for everyone's help. windependence, I'll see if I can find out how to add the 'Thank you' tag for you.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that a patch gets released soon...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: UPDATE: Re: Would like help installing Ubuntu 8.04.1 server on new system

Your welcome! Glad you found out what it was. Stuff like that can drive you crazy. FYI the thank you button is the little star in the far right hand corner of every post.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Please ignore this post. I was responding to something several pages back thinking I had hit the end of the post.
    Last edited by Ximbiot; August 22nd, 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123