Thread: Ubuntu doesn't boot reliably

Beans

Ubuntu doesn't boot reliably

When my ubuntu is booted up, it usually works okay. I do occassionally have freeze or an unexpected reboot but when i turn my computer off for the night and then start it up the next morning it freezes during the boot process. After trying to reboot it a dozen times (including entering and exiting setup), i can eventually get it fully booted. From then on I usually dont have a big problem until the following day when the vicious cycle repeats itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot reliably

Same problem here, I usually have to boot in recovery mode and repair broken packages. !!

Beans

how do you boot in recovery mode and repair passages??? Also, why bother with Ubuntu if all these problems are present

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

The usual thing to do for Linux freezes is the same thing I recommend for Windows freezes. Run memtest and check your memory.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans

If the freezes happen during the bootup process you can click details to see which component freezes. For instance if the network interface is being brought up and it starts looking for an ip-address and it can not be found it will wait quiet some time before it gives up.

Otherwise random freezes are usually due to hardware failure

Beans

also when it freezes my caps lock and scroll lock lights blink.....i have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with an ATI Radeon (i think) video card. I just replaced the hard drive (had windows on old hard drive) and have new ram on order. i also occassionally get a kernel panic screen when booting up and something about sync and try init