Thread: Need help getting around in Ubuntu server edition

Beans

Angry Need help getting around in Ubuntu server edition

Hi

I sorry for this question but I am new to Ubuntu server and dont know how to get around in cli. I got Ubuntu installed and installed lamp and openssh. When I boot up I can get login and get to a command promt but I dont have a clue what to do after that. Where can I go to get the information I need to learn how to get around.

Sorry and Thank you for your comments.
    Last edited by daggwood; August 20th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Need help getting around in Ubuntu server edition

Well, what do you want to do with it ? You could take a look at the following documentation to help you for example:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/GNU-Linux-To...tml/index.html

Basicly any document book on standard linux/unix will tell you what to do (certainly a book/document older than a couple of years, where CLI was default )

Beans

googling "getting started on linux command line" brings up a handful of tutorials.

I might also recommend a desktop configuration for a beginner so you can access both the CLI and GUI tools until you get the hang of things.

Finally, googling specific tasks you wish to accomplish from the command line can be a good way to learn, as the HOWTOs you will often find often have command-by-command walk-throughs that you can pick up basics from as you follow them.

Beans

Thank you for the info. I hope I can figure out what I'm doing. I want to setup a web page using my window based computer and upload the files to my server computer and maybe even try to figure out how to set up a blog but I figure that I need to know how to admin my server first to get stuff set up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daggwood View Post
    Thank you for the info. I hope I can figure out what I'm doing. I want to setup a web page using my window based computer and upload the files to my server computer and maybe even try to figure out how to set up a blog but I figure that I need to know how to admin my server first to get stuff set up.
    Just break it up into small tasks. Learn to upload files (I recommend SCP (WinSCP on Windows) or Samba, depending on your security requirements). Learn to install an Apache web server with the default configuration. Learn to add you own content to the web server. Learn to install blogging software on the web server...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Here's the Ubuntu server guide which helps with setting up and configuring most standard linux services.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here are some command line tutorials.
    If it's already installed. this one may not be useful.
    Another setup guide.
    Last edited by Iowan; August 21st, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net