Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner to Linux having problems with connecting...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Beginner to Linux having problems with connecting...

I've bought some stuff from linuxemporium (a laptop and a wireless usb stick like yours) in the past. I found them very helpful and easy to deal with. Have you tried giving them a ring? Obviously not today as it's a Bank Holiday!

0121 313 3857

It does say on their website...

This card uses the RT2571 chipset and works "out of the box" with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

...so they should provide you with help if it doesn't
    Last edited by owenll; August 25th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by owenll View Post
    I've bought some stuff from linuxemporium (a laptop and a wireless usb stick like yours) in the past. I found them very helpful and easy to deal with. Have you tried giving them a ring? Obviously not today as it's a Bank Holiday!

0121 313 3857

It does say on their website...

This card uses the RT2571 chipset and works "out of the box" with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.

...so they should provide you with help if it doesn't
    Haha, thanks. I've actually sent them an email.

EDIT: sorted, found it after a while
    Last edited by e_torano; August 25th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I installed NDISwrapper and now I need to find the following drivers:

rt73.inf and rt73.sys from directory ndis5 in data1.cab on CD that came with the device.
    However, I do not have this CD as my device is manufactured by another company that's device has the same ID. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get this? I tried the website of the device manufacturers but all that gave me was an exe file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by e_torano View Post
    Ok, will do.

By the way, I'm looking through the given link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ost5468482)and it says:

Does that mean to follow the instructions 1-13 in the .pdf supplied on the Linux CD that came with the stick?
    No.

Look at post #1 in that link for steps 1-13 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...71#post2395871

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    No.

Look at post #1 in that link for steps 1-13 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...71#post2395871
    Right, thanks.

I tried setting up that other way (ndiswrapper) and now it's finding my network and (sometimes) connecting but I still can't connect to the internet and when I go to network info it comes up blank...

God, I'm a noob at linux lol

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I tried your way ugm6hr. It still didn't work even after doing everything exactly as told. To show what's wrong, I took a screen shot. This is below:

As you can see, the device is finding the network, connecting then doing nothing much else really lol.

I have no idea what's wrong in truth. I entered all the correct settings and everything

Beans
    Distro

Can anyone help? Sorry for BUMPing but I'm getting a bit desperate lol

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I tried your way ugm6hr. It still didn't work even after doing everything exactly as told. To show what's wrong, I took a screen shot. This is below:
    The screenshot shows that the device is still using ndiswrapper, not the serialmonkey RT drivers.

If you want to try my method, you will have to blacklist ndiswrapper first. To do this, add an extra line to the blacklist file (step 11) with:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper
    Then reboot, and follow the steps again.

NB: You will need wired internet to get the files - if you don't - we'll have to do some transferring of files manually.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    The screenshot shows that the device is still using ndiswrapper, not the serialmonkey RT drivers.

If you want to try my method, you will have to blacklist ndiswrapper first. To do this, add an extra line to the blacklist file (step 11) with:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper
    Then reboot, and follow the steps again.

NB: You will need wired internet to get the files - if you don't - we'll have to do some transferring of files manually.
    Ok, thanks ugm6hr. I don't currently have the internet working on the ubuntu computer at all. I have to either use this machine, my family's XP machine or a laptop

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thanks ugm6hr. I don't currently have the internet working on the ubuntu computer at all. I have to either use this machine, my family's XP machine or a laptop
    Blacklist ndiswrapper first, make sure rt73 is not blacklisted, then reboot.

Download this file somewhere: http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt73-cvs-daily.tar.gz

Transfer the above file to your Ubuntu machine (In "Home Folder"). Then follow step 4 (instead of 3).

The rest should work just fine (depending on what else you did when trying to use ndiswrapper).

What security do you use on your router?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast