Thread: Server Question

Beans

Server Question

I am wanting to host a small website at home, now since i am a verrry new ubuntu user i am wondering what is a good server to use for a new to linux user? and can i put server software and my site on my little micro atx pc and plug it into my regular pc and then run my site and server? I took a look at the ubuntu server editoin and after install i just could not understand what to do with it. The was no GUI so i could not see how to set up a site. And last if i run the ubuntu server 7.10 can it run with ubuntu hardy heron 8.04?

Sorry for all the questions if there is a tut that would be great to.

Beans

Re: Server Question

There is no GUI by default on Linux server because it is

a) not needed
    b) usually administered remotely

You could install a GUI on it but it will not help because all the configuration will still be done via the CLI.

If you are say, trying to set up an apache web server then you should search google or the how to guides and tutorials section of the forums for:

set up apache web server

If doing a google search always throw the word "ubuntu" in there. Guides and tutorials for Linux I find to be much more helpful the a GUI infested Windows server environment.

If you are looking for a file server then look for tutorials on SAMBA.

I will tell you that diving right into Linux and trying to administer will not be an easy task. Many people who are already Linux desktop users would struggle with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I host Lou's Home Server Stuff on my desktop running Ubuntu. I don't mind the overhead of a server running on my desktop. Its just a do it because I can type of thing.

To get a lamp server up and running.
    ApacheMySQLPHP - Community Ubuntu Documentation

To add a lightweight desktop.
    HOWTO: Leightweight Gnome - Ubuntu Forums

And finally administer your server from your desktop.
    SSH - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    Webmin
    Webmin on Dapper Server - Ubuntu Forums

and can i put server software and my site on my little micro atx pc and plug it into my regular pc and then run my site and server?
    Easiest thing to do is share internet with a router. And port forward port 80 to your web server. And use a service like dyndns.org.

Nothing particularly hard just a lot of pieces that have to fit together. It takes a while. lol Titan8990 called it a struggle. It certainly is a challenge.

Good Luck.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans

I called it a "struggle" mostly due to my own experience with it. I had been a Linux desktop user for about 6months and was comfortable with the command line.

What really made it a struggle for me was jumping right into a Exim4 email server when I should have started out with something like a LAMP server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Homelinux View Post
    I am wanting to host a small website at home, now since i am a verrry new ubuntu user i am wondering what is a good server to use for a new to linux user? and can i put server software and my site on my little micro atx pc and plug it into my regular pc and then run my site and server? I took a look at the ubuntu server editoin and after install i just could not understand what to do with it. The was no GUI so i could not see how to set up a site. And last if i run the ubuntu server 7.10 can it run with ubuntu hardy heron 8.04?

Sorry for all the questions if there is a tut that would be great to.
    You can run server software (apache) on a desktop installation. This may help you to learn. If you want a dedicated server, go with the server install and learn to ssh into the server of web config tools such as webmin.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Ubuntu server guide may help you...

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro