Thread: New Computer Woes...

Beans

New Computer Woes...

Though this has little to do with Ubuntu itself, the community here is too active and well informed for me to avoid posting this.

Okay, so I just built myself a new computer, every part is brand new. I plug it in, turn it on, the fans spin but I get no video. Also, I can't seem to enable any of the keyboard's LEDs. Suggestions?

Here are the essential details:

Core 2 Duo E8600
    BFG Geforce 9800GTX+
    EVGA mobo w/ nForce 780i SLI
    4GB (two sticks) RAM
    700W OCZ power supply

UPDATE:

Okay, after doing some homework, I'm going to refine my question a bit.

Is anyone else here the proud owner of an EVGA 780i motherboard? If so, does the phrase "Instant FF" ring any bells for you?
    Last edited by Xelinis; August 20th, 2008 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: New Computer Woes...

Three suggestions off the top of my head.

Did you get one of those little speakers that plug into the motherboard and, if so, did you fit it? Some motherboards emit various patterns of beeps as error messages which might tell you something. Trouble is, one motherboard I bought had the connector for the speaker, but no speaker. Fortunately, I had saved one from an old defunct m'board.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelinis View Post
    BFG Geforce 9800GTX+
    This might sound a daft question, but I've done this myself. Is that a PCIe card or onboard video? And if an add-in card, did you connect to the onboard video by mistake?

As far as the keyboard is concerned, some motherboards come with USB-keyboards disabled by default in the BIOS and you have to use a PS2 keyboard to configure the BIOS. Was that a USB keyboard? Of course, you have to have working video to see the BIOS screen...

Edit: Suggestion 4. I've had a situation where the allegedly matched-pair of RAM sticks didn't like each other - or it may have been a m'board issue. I could boot up with either one of the sticks, but when I fitted both nothing would happen. No video. Nothing. Just spinning fans. Try just one RAM stick.
    Last edited by coffeecat; August 20th, 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Three suggestions off the top of my head.

Did you get one of those little speakers that plug into the motherboard and, if so, did you fit it? Some motherboards emit various patterns of beeps as error messages which might tell you something. Trouble is, one motherboard I bought had the connector for the speaker, but no speaker. Fortunately, I had saved one from an old defunct m'board.

This might sound a daft question, but I've done this myself. Is that a PCIe card or onboard video? And if an add-in card, did you connect to the onboard video by mistake?

As far as the keyboard is concerned, some motherboards come with USB-keyboards disabled by default in the BIOS and you have to use a PS2 keyboard to configure the BIOS. Was that a USB keyboard? Of course, you have to have working video to see the BIOS screen...

Edit: Suggestion 4. I've had a situation where the allegedly matched-pair of RAM sticks didn't like each other - or it may have been a m'board issue. I could boot up with either one of the sticks, but when I fitted both nothing would happen. No video. Nothing. Just spinning fans. Try just one RAM stick.
    1. No, it's a dedicated graphics card.
    2. It IS a PS2 keyboard... :/
    3. I'm at work right now but I'll try the RAM trick when I get home. However, for the time being, I want to get as much feedback on this issue as possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xelinis View Post
    Though this has little to do with Ubuntu itself, the community here is too active and well informed for me to avoid posting this.

Okay, so I just built myself a new computer, every part is brand new. I plug it in, turn it on, the fans spin but I get no video. Also, I can't seem to enable any of the keyboard's LEDs. Suggestions?

Here are the essential details:

Core 2 Duo E8600
    BFG Geforce 9800GTX+
    EVGA mobo w/ nForce 780i SLI
    4GB (two sticks) RAM
    700W OCZ power supply
    I believe that's an sli motherboard. If so..I built one (Abit) with one video card. It did the same as yours. I read the manual and there was a little dummy card you put in the empty sli slot if you have only one video card installed. I did that and it was happy. Check the manual and see if there are special instructions for one video card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fbroce View Post
    I believe that's an sli motherboard. If so..I built one (Abit) with one video card. It did the same as yours. I read the manual and there was a little dummy card you put in the empty sli slot if you have only one video card installed. I did that and it was happy. Check the manual and see if there are special instructions for one video card.
    There was no dummy card in sight. That doesn't explain my keyboard problem (or rather, what it suggests) either.

Beans

Okay, after doing some homework, I'm going to refine my question a bit.

Is anyone else here the proud owner of an EVGA 780i motherboard? If so, does the phrase "Instant FF" ring any bells for you?