Thread: Configuring laptop to toggle on/off external monitor

Beans

Configuring laptop to toggle on/off external monitor

Hello,

I've got a laptop with an attached external LCD. I am running an nvidia card, and have it currently attached and working in TwinView mode.

What I haven't been able to find the answer on the forums about, is how do I go about configuring ubuntu to allow me to toggle display profiles, as in windows, so that when I want to "undock" from my desktop and go mobile, xorg will turn off twinview and display ONLY on the laptop, without displaying a virtual screen off to the side as though my external monitor is still attached.

Any help on this matter would be killer!

-csa

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Configuring laptop to toggle on/off external monitor

Quote Originally Posted by csa3d View Post
    Hello,

I've got a laptop with an attached external LCD. I am running an nvidia card, and have it currently attached and working in TwinView mode.

What I haven't been able to find the answer on the forums about, is how do I go about configuring ubuntu to allow me to toggle display profiles, as in windows, so that when I want to "undock" from my desktop and go mobile, xorg will turn off twinview and display ONLY on the laptop, without displaying a virtual screen off to the side as though my external monitor is still attached.

Any help on this matter would be killer!

-csa
    You will have to write a script that cycles between modes somehow, but, it is probably a pain. I'm quite sure that changing nvidia graphical properties requires a restart of X (your graphical interface) which means it will be a pain however you do it.

I would suggest you go into http://forums.nvidia.com and look in their linux forum for any scripts or information regarding this. It is a "generic linux" query, so, they would be the source.
    Sony VAIO SZ4 - Limited edition

MS DOS since 5.0, Windows since 3.11, Linux since kernel 2.6, OS-X since 10.4,
    and, last but not least, MS Minesweeper since 1.0

Beans

Re: Configuring laptop to toggle on/off external monitor

i unfortunately don't think that it will be as simple as unplugging and away you go.

if you don't mind spending an extra 20 seconds, the way i usually do this is to go into nvidia settings, select your laptop screen and make it a separate x-screen. then select your external display and disable it.

then you save everything to x-configuration, log off, and that should do the trick.

i've never bothered to write any scripts for it, cause once you figure out how to do it manually its pretty easy.