Thread: Bridge through linux box to a windows box. wifi/cat5e.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Bridge through linux box to a windows box. wifi/cat5e.

All right so I mad a little search on this and found myself pretty lost.

The back story: Skip if you don't care. My self and my room mate live in a basement. The whole set up is a little crappy but it comes with free wifi and Sat. T.V. as well as very cheep rent. I sold my room mate a computer and then bought a wifi card for my desk top. He doesn't really wana drop $40+ on a wifi card for himself. I happen to have an unusually large amount of networking switches and cable at my disposal.

Question: I want to use my desktop that has a usb wifi card and bridge that through my Ethernet card into my switch then into my roommates computer. I know that it can be done with two Ethernet cards. Can this be done and if so how?

The more info the better, I wana have this done in under 48 hours. I am not so smart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Bridge through linux box to a windows box. wifi/cat5e.

Quote Originally Posted by rick3878894 View Post
    Question: I want to use my desktop that has a usb wifi card and bridge that through my Ethernet card into my switch then into my roommates computer. I know that it can be done with two Ethernet cards. Can this be done and if so how?
    Yes it can be done. You do not need to "bridge" the two networks. See this:http://wiki.steenbe.nl/?p=29#more-29 .The instructions are assuming that both computers use Ubuntu.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."