Thread: computer parts questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile computer parts questions

i am getting parts for a re build of a computer.
    my questions are about cpu clock speed,and single,duo/dual/quad processors.
    main comp use will be 3d gaming

if a single processor can go 3.0 is it really better for 2 or 4?or 3?
    thanks for the help !!

scott
    "when you have to shoot--shoot dont talk"
    Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez (known as the Rat)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: computer parts questions

well if you are going to have to be a lot more clear. I am assuming that by 3.0 you mean 3.0 GHz but the rest doesnt make sense. It seems like you are talking about the number of cores. you can make a 3.0 GHz processor in single core, dual core , triple core or quad core at the moment and once they come out with CPUs with more cores it will be possible to make a 3.0GHz version of those.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

its a common misconception that a higher clock speed means better performance. although it is somewhat true, the clock speed is just frequency at which the computer runs at which means clock speed can only really be comparable with the same type of chip. a single processors is less efficient, requires more power, and has started to reach its physical limit. with multi-processor core, the computer is allowed multi-threading in parallel. this means that the computer can handle many processes at once, and most games are starting to utilize the multicore system.

Beans
    Hidden!

A dual core is more or less the norm today so go for a dual core with high clock speed. Moving to a quad core will probably mean that you will have to go down in clock speed and pay extra for the cores. In a gamer computer GHz is more important than the number of cores since few games can spread the work load equal among cores.
    AMD Phenom 9500 / Asus M3A32-MVP / Kubuntu 8.10
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / Asus M2NPV-MX / Kubuntu 8.10
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+ / Asus P2-M2A690G / Kubuntu 8.10
    IBM Thinkpad R40 / Kubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not entirely sure, but as far as i can tell, the newer Intel Core 2 chips have integrated memory controllers on them, which is a good thing. AMD chips always had it (or at least had it longer than intel). The front side bus is alo important as it tells you the speed in which the cpu can communicate with the rest of the system (again, AMD's are only limited to their actual clock speed, since there is no front side bus).

Another thing is socket type. make sure (if you're building a system, not just upgrading a cpu) that the CPU you have in mind, will run a a good mother board. Check to see if that particular motherboard is designed for that architecture/socket type. Also a good motherboard would support DDR2 (or DDR3 for newer Intel chips), SLI, if you plan to go that rout, or Cross-Fire for linking multiple graphics cards. Many USB pin clusters, at least 4-6 sata ports, and 1 or 2 regular PCI slots (PCI is going outta style, but PCI-e isint ready to fill its shoes).

When you strat to talk about core speeds of processors, its not a good idea to base your entire decisoin on the clock speed of the processor. And if you plan to over-clock (which i would recomend against) make sure you use proper cooling techniques and make sure you case has room for such devices. If you wanna use a bigger cpu heatsink/fan, make sure it dosnt interfere with the RAM modules or power leads. Or is you wanna water-cool, make sure you case is big enough to house all the devices.
    Also, cpu cores dont make that much difference if your apps cant support it. you'll be maxing one core and the other will just stay idle- bad behavior. Quad core is gaining a footing, esp with the Intel Core 2 Extremes. Thems is some nice processors (even though im an AMD fan). The Phenoms arent quite there yet. But if you compare prices, you'll see why.

Again, getting a good processor is like winning the lotto, every processor is different, even if thay have the same part number, or clock speed.

One thing that many people dont think about when building a system is power supply (or PSU). Not all capacitors are built the same. A good PSU can increase you computer-life and make your parts run better, because it outputs clean power. A bad PSU can casue you many problems, and even fry some of your component (cpu, mobo, harddrive, etc.)

To get input on individual parts, look them up on TigerDirect or Newegg. Im sure there are other places too. C|net would also be a good place to look. Look at the reviews and see what other people had to say about them. then make an educated decision on what to buy and from where.

Well, this is my $20 worth. Im sure some of the things i listed aren't entirely true since im not an expert and don't know everything, but i think i covered the post-basics/pre-intermediates pretty well.
    If anyone else has some input, or even correct me (my cpu knowledge isint entirely up to date) please do so at your own discression.
    and to you Cap'n Skyler, Happy building

ps: sorry if i broke any rules for posting external links, but they seem to be helpful for this situation. If needed, i will erase them.
    Last edited by crazyness003; August 20th, 2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: CHUCK NORRIS