Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING to all Acer owners

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WARNING to all Acer owners

and possibly other companies do this to...

I bought an Acer October 31 2007, 2 weeks ago a thunderstorm took out the modem and now the machine just shuts off in both Vista and Ubuntu.

I go to the 'Fix my Acer' website, enter the info and it tells me the machine was never registered. I go and register my machine, get the email saying it's registered... back to the fix my acer site and it says warranty is over and it gives me a number to call.

The guy on the phone has the nerve to say the warranty is from the day the machine was made and not when we bought it!!!!!!

I tell him it says on my bill that the warranty is one year whether sold as demo/trade-in/refubished.... his response was 'oh sorry sir nevermind, it must be a glitch in our system because you only registered it today, please send us a copy of the bill and we will tell you how to proceed.

I am shocked they tried to fool me out of repairing my machine and just thought others should know this crap actually happens!

EDIT: Regardless of whether you think I am trying to get a free repair or whether they will repair it... THE POINT is that the company tried to say the warranty was from the manufacture date and not the date of sale!
    Last edited by trash; August 20th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: clarifying the real point of the post.
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: WARNING to all Acer owners

Usually your home insurance company will deal with things like this. Warranty coverage usually won't cover these kinds of things unless you specifically bought an accidental damage warranty.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    Usually your home insurance company will deal with things like this. Warranty coverage usually won't cover these kinds of things unless you specifically bought an accidental damage warranty.
    True, but i am only guessing what the cause was since my mom had the laptop at her house, her other older machine was not damaged and it too was plugged into the phoneline.
    I can't test the modem because the machine shuts itself off to soon.

The point is still that the employee tried to make me think it's not under warranty.
    ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    and possibly other companies do this to...

I bought an Acer October 31 2007, 2 weeks ago a thunderstorm took out the modem and now the machine just shuts off in both Vista and Ubuntu.

I go to the 'Fix my Acer' website, enter the info and it tells me the machine was never registered. I go and register my machine, get the email saying it's registered... back to the fix my acer site and it says warranty is over and it gives me a number to call.

The guy on the phone has the nerve to say the warranty is from the day the machine was made and not when we bought it!!!!!!

I tell him it says on my bill that the warranty is one year whether sold as demo/trade-in/refubished.... his response was 'oh sorry sir nevermind, it must be a glitch in our system because you only registered it today, please send us a copy of the bill and we will tell you how to proceed.

I am shocked they tried to fool me out of repairing my machine and just thought others should know this crap actually happens!
    I don't know what the law is in Canada, but over here, companies MUST provide one year warranties on things, it's the law, otherwise you can report them to the office of fair trading.
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    True, but i am only guessing what the cause was since my mom had the laptop at her house, her other older machine was not damaged and it too was plugged into the phoneline.
    I can't test the modem because the machine shuts itself off to soon.

The point is still that the employee tried to make me think it's not under warranty.
    Ok, fair enough. I just don't think that if you tell any company that all of a sudden after a thunderstorm your computer stopped working that they will do anything about it. That would fall back on insurance since it's most likely categorized under an "act of God". If other machines that were plugged into the same circuits were unaffected, then it *might* just be a coincidence. You did hear about the Dell lawsuit dealing with warranties just a few months ago, didn't you? I'm fairly convinced that any company will try to find some loophole so they don't have to provide warranty services..

EDIT: Oops.. the link is to the beginning of the lawsuit. I read a story on how Dell lost but can't seem to find it. It happened just a few months ago, but the story I linked to was last year when the whole thing started
    Last edited by y@w; August 20th, 2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Doh!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jgrabham View Post
    I don't know what the law is in Canada, but over here, companies MUST provide one year warranties on things, it's the law, otherwise you can report them to the office of fair trading.
    Pretty much the same here, especially if it's in writting
    ~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    Ok, fair enough. I just don't think that if you tell any company that all of a sudden after a thunderstorm your computer stopped working that they will do anything about it. That would fall back on insurance since it's most likely categorized under an "act of God". If other machines that were plugged into the same circuits were unaffected, then it *might* just be a coincidence. You did hear about the Dell lawsuit dealing with warranties just a few months ago, didn't you? I'm fairly convinced that any company will try to find some loophole so they don't have to provide warranty services..

EDIT: Oops.. the link is to the beginning of the lawsuit. I read a story on how Dell lost but can't seem to find it. It happened just a few months ago, but the story I linked to was last year when the whole thing started
    Regardless of whether or not they repair the machine under warranty, the employee still tried to con me into thinking my one year was up.
    I will report what I know to be fact and that is my machine shuts down by itself after about 5 minutes uptime... if they find a fried modem/power issue and refuse to honor the warranty thats fine, we'll see but my year coverage is NOT OVER till October 31 2008

I have dealt with Dell before and won't be going back thats for sure
    ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

thanks for the warning i thought acer was a good manufacture , but if they don`t stand behind there product , then they are not as good as i thought!

Beans

So just a quick recap.

You bought it about 10 months ago.

Never registered it til it was broke.

An event that they had nothing to do with damaged it.

You want them to fix it at their expense anyway.

WARNING WARNING!!!
    Last edited by Dremora; August 20th, 2008 at 10:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is pretty bad:
    Acer
    Fujitsu Simens
    HP laptops, not desktops

IS very good:
    Dell (i called them so they could fix my computer, and one guy from Dell knocked on my door about one hour later and fixed the problem in just a few minutes)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast