Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Shut down asking for root passwd!

Quote Originally Posted by pachequin
    hi! everyone! I followed the instructions and the boot is faster but when I turn off my laptop asks me for the root passwd, do you know what service or what I did wrong?
    I am getting the exact same problem. Does anyone know a fix?

Also, my laptop does not boot past the brown screen with a cusor (after login) unless I disconnect my network cable before booting. I think this has something to do with the "hotplug-networking" or "networking" service, but if I enable them, booting takes forever when I am not connected to a network. Any way to fix this?
    Peter VK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by i3dmaster
    If you are using hotplug service to map the network devices (which is the default) then network wouldn't start. The same, sound card is probed by hotplug subsystem. For network, you can take a look your /etc/network/interfaces file, comment out the hotplug mapping section and put whatever the device to the "auto" line. For your sound card, find out what module it uses and put it into /etc/modules file. btw, Dapper will drop hotplug and only use udev.
    I disabled hotplug and then sound and network wouldn't work any more. I normally deal with ifup/down, etc by myself, since the network GUI doesn't work (that is something i go proud since I'm a win user). Other than looking at /etc/network/interfaces and commenting hotplug out, is there a way to understand what fails with hotplug at startup?? It doesn't actually fails.. it takes a long time but no "fail" nor "ok" shows.

Thanks you for the nice howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Allright, I think I messed up here. My Lap turns off during boot. tried the things listed above but without sucsess. Is it possible to change the settings through the Live CD? If yes, how?
    The only thing i can manage is to get into the grub command line.

"I'm learning by doing it the hard way!"

Thanks!

Jørgen

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by zasf
    I disabled hotplug and then sound and network wouldn't work any more. I normally deal with ifup/down, etc by myself, since the network GUI doesn't work (that is something i go proud since I'm a win user). Other than looking at /etc/network/interfaces and commenting hotplug out, is there a way to understand what fails with hotplug at startup?? It doesn't actually fails.. it takes a long time but no "fail" nor "ok" shows.

Thanks you for the nice howto
    hotplug and hotplug-network are hotplug subsystems that used for enabling plug&play devices, such as pcmcia card, usb, 1394, sound card, etc. Its a pretty sophisticated system to explain, but in a short, hotplug will try to detect low level devices by using d-bus and udev message bus and load the necessary modules by scaning various module files. The udev will actually have the same type func as hotplug in the near future I think and that's why the hotplug will be replaced by udev... With these type of subsystems enabled, Linux is truly a plug&play OS. But, things always have two sides, the side effect of hotplug is known to be the slow loading during boot time. The way that I can think of to learn this subsystem is to look at the hotplug scripts.
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Re: Shut down asking for root passwd!

Quote Originally Posted by petervk
    I am getting the exact same problem. Does anyone know a fix?

Also, my laptop does not boot past the brown screen with a cusor (after login) unless I disconnect my network cable before booting. I think this has something to do with the "hotplug-networking" or "networking" service, but if I enable them, booting takes forever when I am not connected to a network. Any way to fix this?
    Hmm... I am not sure about this. If you have chance to take a screenshot of your sysv-rc-conf output, I'd love to try.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by joergenlie

Allright, I think I messed up here. My Lap turns off during boot. tried the things listed above but without sucsess. Is it possible to change the settings through the Live CD? If yes, how?
    The only thing i can manage is to get into the grub command line.

"I'm learning by doing it the hard way!"

Thanks!

Jørgen
    I think you've probably touched some services that I emphasized NOT to touch at all. Most likely would be the "halt" service since you said your laptop turned off when booting. If you use live CD, go there and mount your root file system and go to the /mount_point_of_rootfs/etc/rc*.d dirs and change the Sxxhalt to only exist under /etc/rc0.d, meaning delete all other Sxxhalt in other rc*.d dirs. Be careful when you do any changes.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ok
    How do I mount the root file system through the live cd? I get into root@ubuntu but the the only thing there is Desktop.
    Is there som advanced way to do this through the live cd?

Jørgen

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by joergenlie
    Ok
    How do I mount the root file system through the live cd? I get into root@ubuntu but the the only thing there is Desktop.
    Is there som advanced way to do this through the live cd?

Jørgen
    ok, you will need to open a terminal and do a
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    . In that list, you should see your local hard disk root filesystem. Then create a temp dir under /mnt and then mount the root filesystem underneath that temp dir.
    Linux user #392733

Beans

I used this and I now can't get my network to boot at startup.
    I don't mind it too much, except I have to remember to manually boot the network interface.
    When i get home i will go over the things I turned off and post it around here.
    If i'm not too mistakened I only turned things off like the howto. However i'm not too assured of it. I remember going over the things and starting them one by one booting and reebooting, and going over it over and over. Nothing worked and i gave up on it.

Only now to remember about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by i3dmaster
    ok, you will need to open a terminal and do a
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    . In that list, you should see your local hard disk root filesystem. Then create a temp dir under /mnt and then mount the root filesystem underneath that temp dir.
    Thanks alot man! som head scratching with the mount, but i got it at last!

Jørgen

Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast